How to have Record_Edit_Date field automatically updated?
Author Message
 How to have Record_Edit_Date field automatically updated?

Hi,

Any idea how I would (without doing any coding) set up an Access MDB file,
and Table properties in Access, so that when a record in a table is edited,
there are two Date type fields that are automatically updated:

    EDIT_DATE with the date the record was edited, and
    EDIT_TIME with the time the record was edited.

I have a canned database application that does not automatically set/update
an Access table record's edit date and time.  I need to somehow
automatically have these values set in the two fields when the record is
edited.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Sun, 18 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 How to have Record_Edit_Date field automatically updated?

Sorry but you may be asking for the impossible. If your database was in SQL Server you could add triggers to the tables but Access doesn't have triggers. If you were writing a new application you could disallow write access directly to the tables and force the developers to use QueryDefs with parameters that would automatically add the modification date.

The nearest solution I can suggest is to use the Access upsizing wizard to move the data into SQL Server but keep a stub MDB file with links to tables in SQL Server. This will give you the flexibility to add triggers to the SQL Server tables.

By the way, don't put the date and time in separate fields. Date & time should be considered as one item of data.

Regards,
Simon Jones
MillStream Designs Ltd
Independent IT Consultants

  Hi,

  Any idea how I would (without doing any coding) set up an Access MDB file,
  and Table properties in Access, so that when a record in a table is edited,
  there are two Date type fields that are automatically updated:

      EDIT_DATE with the date the record was edited, and
      EDIT_TIME with the time the record was edited.

  I have a canned database application that does not automatically set/update
  an Access table record's edit date and time.  I need to somehow
  automatically have these values set in the two fields when the record is
  edited.
  Any ideas?

  Thanks in advance!

  Chris

Wed, 21 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Searching and automatically updating fields

2. Automatically Update Field

3. Automatically Update Fields in Word

4. Automatically Update fields

5. Automatically update fields

6. Having trouble accessing single field key with two concatenated fields

7. Having Subform update all rows

8. Not having date auto updated - Help !

9. Having trouble with 2nd update in ODBCDirect

10. Using--After Update-- to update field in table.

11. Having problems with sorting character or text fields

12. Having trouble getting the Alias (Account) field data from a global address