SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows
Author Message
 SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows

I have an application that lets users work with 1000+ rows
of SQL Server table at a time. My approach is to (1) copy all the
rows to an Access table, (2) let the user work with the table and
(3) write whole thing back to SQL Server.

I am using ODBC linking from Access MDB (97) to SQL Server (6.5)
and Access INSERT, DELETE, (UPDATE) queries to do the job.

In order to add transaction/commit/rollback feature to this application,
what can I do (since DAO does not seem to support transactions
against SQL Server?)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hilo Tamaoka

Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows
as long as you only use a single transaction (no nested transactions),
you should be ok with DAO's begintran, commit and rollback.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 02:16:10 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

Quote:

>I have an application that lets users work with 1000+ rows
>of SQL Server table at a time. My approach is to (1) copy all the
>rows to an Access table, (2) let the user work with the table and
>(3) write whole thing back to SQL Server.

>I am using ODBC linking from Access MDB (97) to SQL Server (6.5)
>and Access INSERT, DELETE, (UPDATE) queries to do the job.

>In order to add transaction/commit/rollback feature to this application,
>what can I do (since DAO does not seem to support transactions
>against SQL Server?)

>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>Hilo Tamaoka

Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows
Thanks for your response.

Maybe its the version of VB I am using (this one is written in VB40).

Is this true?

Best regards,

Hilo Tamaoka

Quote:
> as long as you only use a single transaction (no nested transactions),
> you should be ok with DAO's begintran, commit and rollback.

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 02:16:10 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

> >I have an application that lets users work with 1000+ rows
> >of SQL Server table at a time. My approach is to (1) copy all the
> >rows to an Access table, (2) let the user work with the table and
> >(3) write whole thing back to SQL Server.

> >I am using ODBC linking from Access MDB (97) to SQL Server (6.5)
> >and Access INSERT, DELETE, (UPDATE) queries to do the job.

> >In order to add transaction/commit/rollback feature to this application,
> >what can I do (since DAO does not seem to support transactions
> >against SQL Server?)

> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >Hilo Tamaoka

Sat, 03 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows
transactions don't have anything to do with the VB version -- they're
part of the database engine you're using. DAO/jet has supported
transactions as far back as i can remember, and nested transactions
since v2.

On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:07:15 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

Quote:

>Thanks for your response.

>Maybe its the version of VB I am using (this one is written in VB40).

>Is this true?

>Best regards,

>Hilo Tamaoka

>> as long as you only use a single transaction (no nested transactions),
>> you should be ok with DAO's begintran, commit and rollback.

>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 02:16:10 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

>> >I have an application that lets users work with 1000+ rows
>> >of SQL Server table at a time. My approach is to (1) copy all the
>> >rows to an Access table, (2) let the user work with the table and
>> >(3) write whole thing back to SQL Server.

>> >I am using ODBC linking from Access MDB (97) to SQL Server (6.5)
>> >and Access INSERT, DELETE, (UPDATE) queries to do the job.

>> >In order to add transaction/commit/rollback feature to this application,
>> >what can I do (since DAO does not seem to support transactions
>> >against SQL Server?)

>> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> >Hilo Tamaoka

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows

Quote:
>transactions don't have anything to do with the VB version -- they're
>part of the database engine you're using.

That's what I thought.

Your message encouraged me to give it another shot at
BEGINTRANS/COMMIT/ROLLBACK  trio once again.

I will try to see what's wrong.

Thanks for your help.

Hilo Tamaoka

Quote:
> transactions don't have anything to do with the VB version -- they're
> part of the database engine you're using. DAO/jet has supported
> transactions as far back as i can remember, and nested transactions
> since v2.

> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:07:15 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

> >Thanks for your response.

> >Maybe its the version of VB I am using (this one is written in VB40).

> >Is this true?

> >Best regards,

> >Hilo Tamaoka

> >> as long as you only use a single transaction (no nested transactions),
> >> you should be ok with DAO's begintran, commit and rollback.

> >> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 02:16:10 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

Sun, 04 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 SQL Server-Access: Update 1000 Rows
if you continue to have problems, post a code sample so someone can
help you debug.

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 19:29:16 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

Quote:

>>transactions don't have anything to do with the VB version -- they're
>>part of the database engine you're using.

>That's what I thought.

>Your message encouraged me to give it another shot at
>BEGINTRANS/COMMIT/ROLLBACK  trio once again.

>I will try to see what's wrong.

>Thanks for your help.

>Hilo Tamaoka

>> transactions don't have anything to do with the VB version -- they're
>> part of the database engine you're using. DAO/jet has supported
>> transactions as far back as i can remember, and nested transactions
>> since v2.

>> On Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:07:15 -0500, "Hilo Tamaoka"

>> >Thanks for your response.

>> >Maybe its the version of VB I am using (this one is written in VB40).

>> >Is this true?

>> >Best regards,

>> >Hilo Tamaoka

>application,

Mon, 05 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. SQL Server Error 1000: Null Pointer Encountered

2. 2nd SQL Server update after update text field corrupts row - using RDO

3. HELP: Selecting 1000's of rows in SSDBGrid

4. Next 1000 rows???

5. Simple update to a row in a table in a SQL Server database

6. Error: 40002 - 01S03: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]No rows updated or deleted

7. Error : 40002 - 01S03: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]No rows updated or deleted

8. Simple update to a row in a table in an SQL Server database

9. Update SQL Syntax to Access and SQL Server

10. sql error : 1000 command aborted

11. Updating A SQL server table through DAO and ODBC In Access 2000

12. Acc2000: Access tables attached to SQL-Server won't update