Questions about MS certified solution developer
Author Message
 Questions about MS certified solution developer

I would like to find out if anybody have taken the MCSD exams on VB5 &
Windows Architecture. I am planning to take the exams and still not sure
which books I should study, without going to one of those training center.
And for most of all, if it is worth the effort to take the exams.

Any information related to these would be very appreciated.

Circe

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Questions about MS certified solution developer

Perhaps, visit www.transcender.com.  Slightly expensive, but very good.
Also see www.mcpmag.com, where perhaps some reviews (of exams, preparation
products, and simulation products) are to be found.

The old WOSA book was pretty good.  The new WinArch book is probably also
pretty good.

Paul Scofield

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Questions about MS certified solution developer

First off, I would hit www.microsoft.com/mcp for the certification
requirements.  They also have practice exams and course outlines for each
exam.

Secondly, I wouldn't take any of the exams without having first studied the
Transcender exams.  I found questions on all three of the exams you
mentioned that never appeared in the Microsoft official exam preperation
guides.

Thirdly, there was just recently published a Windows Arch. for Developers
Book and CD combo by Microsoft Press that is supposed to be the official
study guide for 70-160 & 70-161 (Win Arch 1 & 2).  My reccomendation is that
it is only a *guide* and I would especially read up on COM & OLE in more
detail than the Microsoft book covers.

As far as I know, there is no official study guide for the VB 5 exam.  I can
tell you that the Transcenders give a very good feel for the exam.  You will
need to know application distribution forwards and backwards.  You will also
need to be very comfortable with the VB IDE debugging tools (immediate,
watch and locals windows).  You will also get questions in the coding
seciton on the syntax for early v/s late binding as well as the functional
difference between CreateObject and GetObject.  Also be aware of the syntax
of the AddressOf keyword, and where you can and can't use it.

--

Tony Selke

(please remove the _No-Junk-Mail_ prior to responding)

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Quote:

>I would like to find out if anybody have taken the MCSD exams on VB5 &
>Windows Architecture. I am planning to take the exams and still not sure
>which books I should study, without going to one of those training center.
>And for most of all, if it is worth the effort to take the exams.

>Any information related to these would be very appreciated.

>Circe

Fri, 06 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Questions about MS certified solution developer

I used the "Exam Cram" Series for the VB5 exam -- it increased my score from
630 to 730 on the Transcender exams, and I passed the real exam by over 100
points.  The Transcender exams are unparalleled for preparing you for the
real exam.

Also, beware that most of the preparation books, while better than nothing,
are absolutely *riddled* with errors.  I found almost 10 mistakes in chapter
3 of that Exam Cram book I mention above, but it's still a big help -- just
be wary of things that don't make sense -- it may not be you, only the exam.

I was disappointed to find the exam did *not* cover anything about the
various Instancing options available for classes...

Moving on, the WinArchI exam was much easier than the Prep Guide makes it
look -- but there is a *hell* of a lot of unrelated information on that
exam.  Good understanding of OLE would help, no question.  My understanding
though, was that none of the major publishers (our company uses New Rider
Press) has yet released a WinArchI/II book yet, so we've had to
research/study it ourselves...

Not something you want to do without outside support, but I would *not*
recommend the various $2,000 classes out there based on the disappointing
comments that I've heard...

Sat, 07 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Questions about MS certified solution developer

2. Are you a MS Certified Solution Developer?

3. : Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

4. Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer information wanted

5. Microsoft Certified Solution Developer Study Guide Advice

6. MS Cert Solution Developer home study questions

7. MS certified developers help, anyone???

8. MS Certified Developers

9. MS Certified Developers help, anyone???

10. MS Certified Developers help, anyone???

11. VBA by Microsoft certified developer

12. Certified VB developer looking for a freelance work