VB app using a remote connection to the data?
Author Message
 VB app using a remote connection to the data?

I have client who has expanded into several new stores in other states.  We
are trying to decide the best way to expand his point of sale application.
Right now we are using Acess97, but that is no longer a viable option.

One choice is to write an intranet app and have the busines logic and data
on the server, using the browser as a front end.

Another option is to write a VB app that will be on each front end and
connect to the server over the web. By mapping the web connection and then
using that path as the connect string, the VB app runs run well. The problem
is that we have only done that with a test app, not a full blown POS
application, and no one here has heard of anyone using that method for a
live application with 30 or more users.  Are we missing something? It seems
so easy.  Does anyone have experience trying something like that?

All input is welcome.
Thanks,
Mike

Sat, 05 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 VB app using a remote connection to the data?
Michael,

I would go with an internet app using ASP with VB COM objects (marshalled
with MTS if necessary) - that is 100% HTML on the client browsers . If you
decide to allow for client-side Active-X code you could end up with a
maintenance nightmare for upgrading users. Also, you may have 30 users now
.... what if your customer expands even more.

As for a database, MS-Access won't do. You'll probably have to switch to
SQL-Server or some other DBMS.

Liam
http://www.vbexpress.com

Quote:
> I have client who has expanded into several new stores in other states.
We
> are trying to decide the best way to expand his point of sale application.
> Right now we are using Acess97, but that is no longer a viable option.

> One choice is to write an intranet app and have the busines logic and data
> on the server, using the browser as a front end.

> Another option is to write a VB app that will be on each front end and
> connect to the server over the web. By mapping the web connection and then
> using that path as the connect string, the VB app runs run well. The
problem
> is that we have only done that with a test app, not a full blown POS
> application, and no one here has heard of anyone using that method for a
> live application with 30 or more users.  Are we missing something? It
seems
> so easy.  Does anyone have experience trying something like that?

> All input is welcome.
> Thanks,
> Mike

Sun, 06 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Passing structures from C++ app to a VB client app through Network connection using COM

2. getting data from Remote SQL Server to VB app

3. getting data from Remote SQL Server to VB app

4. getting data from Remote SQL Server to VB app

5. Using a global connection in vb.net WinForms App

6. Remote connection to Host app.

7. Remote connection to App.

8. Assigning Null Values to data bound fields using remote data control

9. Remote Data Control and Connections

10. Remote Data Control Connections

11. Remote Data Base Connection and Query

12. Remote connection and data access models (CONT.)