ADO - buggy as hell?
Author Message
 ADO - buggy as hell?

Everybody I speak to who uses or used ADO tell me it's buggy beyond belief
and most have gone back to using other methods for data access. Is this
the case? I'm just starting toget back into VB after a 3 year gap and need
to know where to concentrate my efforts.

* Analyst Programmer/ {*filter*} IT writer          *

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?
What version of ADO are you using?  The latest is 2.1 and you can obtain it
at www.microsoft.com/data (just follow the MDAC links).  As far as being
buggy what do you mean?  What problems are you experiencing?  My experience
indicates that there is sometimes no distinction given between *buggy* and
differences in use from the old school ;-).  I'm sure if you're experiencing
problems there are many out here who can assist you and provide you with
answers.  IMHO, ADO is the best thing since sliced bread.

--

Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP

> Everybody I speak to who uses or used ADO tell me it's buggy beyond belief
> and most have gone back to using other methods for data access. Is this
> the case? I'm just starting toget back into VB after a 3 year gap and need
> to know where to concentrate my efforts.

> * Analyst Programmer/ {*filter*} IT writer          *

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?
For my 2c worth, I would generally agree with Tony.
We have been doing alot of testing with ADO and there are bugs but the
serious ones are mostly cleared up with the latest version. Sometimes with
new technologies, people mark the software as buggy because it seems not to
work. In many cases this is because they are not using it correctly. I have
been guilty of this in the past myself. You know how it goes, a bad workman

Andrew

Quote:
> What version of ADO are you using?  The latest is 2.1 and you can obtain
it
> at www.microsoft.com/data (just follow the MDAC links).  As far as being
> buggy what do you mean?  What problems are you experiencing?  My
experience
> indicates that there is sometimes no distinction given between *buggy* and
> differences in use from the old school ;-).  I'm sure if you're
experiencing
> problems there are many out here who can assist you and provide you with
> answers.  IMHO, ADO is the best thing since sliced bread.

> --

> Later,
> Tony Fountain, MCP
> Please do not email me directly, my wife already clutters up my inbox

> > Everybody I speak to who uses or used ADO tell me it's buggy beyond
belief
> > and most have gone back to using other methods for data access. Is this
> > the case? I'm just starting toget back into VB after a 3 year gap and
need
> > to know where to concentrate my efforts.

> > * Analyst Programmer/ {*filter*} IT writer          *

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?

Quote:

> What version of ADO are you using?  The latest is 2.1 and you can

I'm not actually using it yet but wondering if it is worth bothering to
learn at this point. All the VB developers I have spoken to have said that
it simply doesn't work the way it was docuemented. Most have given up and
gone back to DAO or ODBC for their apps. I was told that 2.o was bad and
that 2.1 was supposed to fix it but was still pretty badly broken. No info
on specifics though - sorry.

* Analyst Programmer/ {*filter*} IT writer          *

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?
Well, I hate to disagree with Tony, but there are certainly behaviors in ADO
that require time spent working around things that ought to work (this to me
indicates a bug).  While each release has been a VAST improvement over
previous releases there are still issues (by the way if you get ADO 2.1 make
sure you get SP1 for it as well <g>).

A couple of quick examples:
1) I currently have a large transaction in ASP involving multiple tables
that will not rollback in ADO so the page is now using RDO (granted it's a
very complicated transaction involving many tables but rollback is critical
in this instance).
2) If you're doing Access development DAO is admittedly faster (see latest
VBPJ).

Anyway, just my .02,
Larry

Quote:

>> What version of ADO are you using?  The latest is 2.1 and you can
>I'm not actually using it yet but wondering if it is worth bothering to
>learn at this point. All the VB developers I have spoken to have said that

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?

It is definitely worth learning.  There is only one exception to this rule,
IMO, and that is if you're strictly doing work with Access databases you can
stick with DAO (for know).  ADO, I believe, is a technology that is going to
be here for awhile.  Microsoft is even adopting it in their own products and
technologies for accessing information.  From what I understand, it's even
used by SQL Server 7.0.

--

Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP
Please do not email me directly, my wife already clutters up my inbox

> > What version of ADO are you using?  The latest is 2.1 and you can
> I'm not actually using it yet but wondering if it is worth bothering to
> learn at this point. All the VB developers I have spoken to have said that
> it simply doesn't work the way it was docuemented. Most have given up and
> gone back to DAO or ODBC for their apps. I was told that 2.o was bad and
> that 2.1 was supposed to fix it but was still pretty badly broken. No info
> on specifics though - sorry.

> * Analyst Programmer/ {*filter*} IT writer          *

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?

Quote:
> Well, I hate to disagree with Tony,

Well, at least you *hate* to disagree with me ;-)...

I guess I've been fortunate enough to not get bitten by some of these
issues.  And I've been doing my development stickly for desktop applications
so I missed the issues you have found.

Quote:
> 2) If you're doing Access development DAO is admittedly faster (see latest
> VBPJ).

Ditto, see my response to Andrew (before I read your post <g>).

--

Later,
Tony Fountain, MCP
Please do not email me directly, my wife already clutters up my inbox

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO - buggy as hell?

IMO, ADO for the most part works the way it was designed to work.  Not the
way we want it to work.  Does that mean it is buggy?  No, that means it is
complex and not exactly intuitive.  You need to read documents and carefully
consider how to use ADO correctly.  Again, this is just my opinion.
Bob

Sun, 02 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Is ADO 2.6 buggy/slow?

2. ADO With Jet Provider, Multi User Hell, Please help

3. Custom menus challenge - are they buggy???

4. Custom menus challenge - are they buggy???

5. set layer invisible - buggy is page is not selected

6. .Information(wdActiveEndAdjustedPageNumber) is buggy?

7. replacment code for buggy vba5 userform layout event

8. Treeview Node.Text seems to be buggy....

9. Help with Inconsistent/buggy UPDATE in VB5/Access2000

10. ADO ADO ADO ADO ADO VB examples / samples book wanted

11. Buggy Crescent Combo Replacements?

12. any non-buggy currency controls for RDC