DAO, nulls, and SQL7 -- What a day!?!?
Author Message
 DAO, nulls, and SQL7 -- What a day!?!?

I have a legacy app using the Microsoft Data Access control.  The problem is
that when the user deletes a numeric value (ie makes it null), the record
will not update, nor will the record pointer move.  It generates no errors,
raises no flags or anything that I can find.

Please help!!!! :-(

Platform: Win95 or Win98
Database: SQL7 running on Win95 or Win98
Visual Basic 6 Enterprise - SP3
Latest MDAC (whatever it is now, i just downloaded it)
Database connection is made using ODBC.

Thanks in advance,
Trevor Braun
DND

Sat, 24 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO, nulls, and SQL7 -- What a day!?!?

Quote:
> I have a legacy app using the Microsoft Data Access control.  The
problem is
> that when the user deletes a numeric value (ie makes it null), the
record
> will not update, nor will the record pointer move.  It generates no
errors,
> raises no flags or anything that I can find.

> Please help!!!! :-(

> Platform: Win95 or Win98
> Database: SQL7 running on Win95 or Win98
> Visual Basic 6 Enterprise - SP3
> Latest MDAC (whatever it is now, i just downloaded it)
> Database connection is made using ODBC.

> Thanks in advance,
> Trevor Braun
> DND

I'd like to know how you are deleting a numeric value. Is it truly
being set to null or simply being set to zero (which is different to
null). I suggest you place a temporary MsgBox in your program in an
If..Then..Else statement to check what the value really is ie null, or
zero.
Dave
--
dcward

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 25 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 DAO, nulls, and SQL7 -- What a day!?!?
It's null.  the user is deleting the value in the textbox, and then trying
to move.  There is no zero, and LEN returns 0 for length.  I have a feeling
it has something to do with how DAO deals with updating nulls to an ODBC
connection.

Trevor

Quote:

> I'd like to know how you are deleting a numeric value. Is it truly
> being set to null or simply being set to zero (which is different to
> null). I suggest you place a temporary MsgBox in your program in an
> If..Then..Else statement to check what the value really is ie null, or
> zero.
> Dave
> --
> dcward

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 26 Aug 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. null in vb and null in sql7

2. DAO 3.51 to DAO 3.6 NULLs question

3. DAO Connection to SQL7.0

4. Error 3669 with DAO + SQL7

5. DAO/ADO/OLEDB which to use these days?

6. Null Null Null!!!!!!!!!

7. Null, Null, Null!

8. double null question [2 * Null = Null] !!!

9. DAO and NULL fields

10. Use Of Null with DAO

11. DAO 2.5 won't convert zero length string to null in date field

12. Testing NULL in DAO