How do I connect to a DB without using ODBC
Author Message
 How do I connect to a DB without using ODBC

Hi, I am looking for information on the best way to use VB to connect to
Oracle and AS400 databases without putting an ODBC connection on every
desktop. The company I work for has many sites worldwide and every PC is
connected to the company Intranet. I would therefor like to use a TCP/IP
connection to a middle tier, which would solve a lot of support problems.
I have looked at OLE DB/ADO but am unsure if this solves the problem.
Should I consider MTS and Cobra?. Should I write a server app to run on the
database server myself. The amount of data is not vast. Any suggestions?

Regards, Alistair Sincalair
Team Leader

Thu, 10 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 How do I connect to a DB without using ODBC

Alistair,

The easiest way to handle his to write a middle-tier business object that
does the actual database stuff. Your clients call into the b.o. and gets the
date they want.

Another solution is to use RDS which is part of ADO, with RDS your clients
can retrieve recordsets remotely, without having to have ODBC installed on
their computers.

Later...

Niels

Quote:

>Hi, I am looking for information on the best way to use VB to connect to
>Oracle and AS400 databases without putting an ODBC connection on every
>desktop. The company I work for has many sites worldwide and every PC is
>connected to the company Intranet. I would therefor like to use a TCP/IP
>connection to a middle tier, which would solve a lot of support problems.
>I have looked at OLE DB/ADO but am unsure if this solves the problem.
>Should I consider MTS and Cobra?. Should I write a server app to run on the
>database server myself. The amount of data is not vast. Any suggestions?

>Regards, Alistair Sincalair
>Team Leader

Fri, 11 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

2. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

3. Using VB to connect to DB without using ODBC

4. CONNECTING TO ACCESS DB THRU ODBC WITHOUT DSN REMOTLY

5. Using ODBC connect to AS400 DB

6. Connecting to Oracle7 via ODBC without SQL*NET????

7. Can VBScript under WinScriptHost connect to Access db without Access being installed on the workstation

8. Connect to Database without ODBC

9. VB connect to Informix without ODBC

10. Connect to dBase .dbf file without ODBC ?

11. Connecting to Paradox db without a DSN

12. VC++: Using CR7 as Print Engine without using a DB