Limiting the size of a recordset
Author Message
 Limiting the size of a recordset

Is there a way to limit the number of records returned when creating a
recordset via ODBC ? For example, I am writing an app in VB6, that uses
SequeLink ODBC 4.5.1 to browse a table in a Progress 9.1B database. I'd like
to save time, and system resources by loading ~100 records at a time, not
the entire table, which has more than 22,000 records. Is this dependant on
the ODBC driver, or is this in the way I write the app. In the VB6
DataEnvironment, I can specify the total number of records to return, but
not the number to return
at one time...  Thanks !

BTW - This is also posted as [Limiting the size of a recordset] on:
vb.database.odbc
vb.database.ado

--
Bill Warren
DBA/Programmer

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:00:47 GMT
 Limiting the size of a recordset
Bill

Try
ADO Recordsets' MaxRecords property The default value 0  means no limit.

Sukesh

Quote:
> Is there a way to limit the number of records returned when creating a
> recordset via ODBC ? For example, I am writing an app in VB6, that uses
> SequeLink ODBC 4.5.1 to browse a table in a Progress 9.1B database. I'd
like
> to save time, and system resources by loading ~100 records at a time, not
> the entire table, which has more than 22,000 records. Is this dependant on
> the ODBC driver, or is this in the way I write the app. In the VB6
> DataEnvironment, I can specify the total number of records to return, but
> not the number to return
> at one time...  Thanks !

> BTW - This is also posted as [Limiting the size of a recordset] on:
> vb.database.odbc
> vb.database.ado

> --
> Bill Warren
> DBA/Programmer
> TREK, Inc.

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:20:06 GMT
 Limiting the size of a recordset
If I use the MaxRecords property, how would i load the next N records when
the user reaches the end of the recordet ?  I'd like to load records 1-100,
then when the user gets to record 100, and presses the Next button, I'd like
to load the next 100, as they appear in the original table...

--
Bill Warren
DBA/Programmer

Quote:
> Bill

> Try
> ADO Recordsets' MaxRecords property The default value 0  means no limit.

> Sukesh

> > Is there a way to limit the number of records returned when creating a
> > recordset via ODBC ? For example, I am writing an app in VB6, that uses
> > SequeLink ODBC 4.5.1 to browse a table in a Progress 9.1B database. I'd
> like
> > to save time, and system resources by loading ~100 records at a time,
not
> > the entire table, which has more than 22,000 records. Is this dependant
on
> > the ODBC driver, or is this in the way I write the app. In the VB6
> > DataEnvironment, I can specify the total number of records to return,
but
> > not the number to return
> > at one time...  Thanks !

> > BTW - This is also posted as [Limiting the size of a recordset] on:
> > vb.database.odbc
> > vb.database.ado

> > --
> > Bill Warren
> > DBA/Programmer
> > TREK, Inc.

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:31:19 GMT
 Limiting the size of a recordset
If I use the MaxRecords property, how would i load the next N records when
the user reaches the end of the recordet ?  I'd like to load records 1-100,
then when the user gets to record 100, and presses the Next button, I'd like
to load the next 100, as they appear in the original table...

--
Bill Warren
DBA/Programmer
TREK, Inc.

Quote:
> Bill

> Try
> ADO Recordsets' MaxRecords property The default value 0  means no limit.

> Sukesh

> > Is there a way to limit the number of records returned when creating a
> > recordset via ODBC ? For example, I am writing an app in VB6, that uses
> > SequeLink ODBC 4.5.1 to browse a table in a Progress 9.1B database. I'd
> like
> > to save time, and system resources by loading ~100 records at a time,
not
> > the entire table, which has more than 22,000 records. Is this dependant
on
> > the ODBC driver, or is this in the way I write the app. In the VB6
> > DataEnvironment, I can specify the total number of records to return,
but
> > not the number to return
> > at one time...  Thanks !

> > BTW - This is also posted as [Limiting the size of a recordset] on:
> > vb.database.odbc
> > vb.database.ado

> > --
> > Bill Warren
> > DBA/Programmer
> > TREK, Inc.

Sun, 07 Mar 2004 22:30:15 GMT
 Limiting the size of a recordset
Bill

Try  SQL

SELECT * FROM Table WHERE ID BETWEEN StartValue AND EndValue

for initial loading say StartValue=1 and EndValue= 100

then for your cmdNext_Click event, you can increment these two by 100 and
similarly decrement for cmdPrevious_Click event.

Sukesh

Quote:
> If I use the MaxRecords property, how would i load the next N records when
> the user reaches the end of the recordet ?  I'd like to load records
1-100,
> then when the user gets to record 100, and presses the Next button, I'd
like
> to load the next 100, as they appear in the original table...

> --
> Bill Warren
> DBA/Programmer
> TREK, Inc.

> > Bill

> > Try
> > ADO Recordsets' MaxRecords property The default value 0  means no limit.

> > Sukesh

> > > Is there a way to limit the number of records returned when creating a
> > > recordset via ODBC ? For example, I am writing an app in VB6, that
uses
> > > SequeLink ODBC 4.5.1 to browse a table in a Progress 9.1B database.
I'd
> > like
> > > to save time, and system resources by loading ~100 records at a time,
> not
> > > the entire table, which has more than 22,000 records. Is this
dependant
> on
> > > the ODBC driver, or is this in the way I write the app. In the VB6
> > > DataEnvironment, I can specify the total number of records to return,
> but
> > > not the number to return
> > > at one time...  Thanks !

> > > BTW - This is also posted as [Limiting the size of a recordset] on:
> > > vb.database.odbc
> > > vb.database.ado

> > > --
> > > Bill Warren
> > > DBA/Programmer
> > > TREK, Inc.

Mon, 08 Mar 2004 03:28:53 GMT

1. Limiting size of Access recordset

2. ADO Createable recordset size limits?

3. ADO Createable recordset size limits?

4. Size of Controls limited by Form Size ?

5. Size of Controls limited by Form Size ?

6. String Size Limit in Textbox and Listbox

7. Output To File Size Limits

8. Access 97 Size limit

9. size limit to outlook distribution list?

10. ini file size limit?

11. Word operating limits trouble and odd file size growth

12. Limiting message size at the OutlookXP client