Crystal Reports bug - report off new query
Author Message
 Crystal Reports bug - report off new query

I have a report designed in Crystal Reports (version 4.6.1.0 - bundled with
VB5)

The report originally pointed to a query in my database(MS Access) called
qyrSPRDetails.  I now want to point the report to a different query name
that has the exact same fields as the original query.  I don't think it is
possible;  am I right?
Database, Set Location only sets the location of the database file, not
query within.
And I really haven't been able to figure out what the Alias is for.  In
Help, they imply that an Alias can be used in case your database name
changes.  However, as far as I can see, that's what the Database, Set
Location is for.  If you change the Alias for an object, then all the
report fields indicate they are bound to the new Alias name, but of what
benefit is this really?  What if you want to do something useful like
actually bind your report to another object? What do you do if a query or
stored procedure changes name?  Recreate all your reports that involved
that object I suppose.  Brutal.

If anyone else has had this problem or has found a solution, I'd really
appreciate hearing from you.

Trevor Gould

Sun, 28 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports bug - report off new query

I think the Alias stuff is used for just this sort of thing. Backup your
.Rpt file first and then change the Alias name to your new query, do a
save, and then try a preview of your report.

I don't think the SQLQuery property changes will work with a non-ODBC data
source. I had a hard time trying to do it and found the docs said I was
wasting my time trying.

You are not using ODBC with your ACCESS tables are you?

Crystal Reports 5.0 has a new feature called bound reports. You can set up
a VB data control as the source of your query and have a .Rpt file
connected to it. The advantage to this is the ease of changing your Select
statement. Change the data object any time you want but be careful to
always make sure that the SELECT part of you RecordSource always contains
all of the fields used in your report.  The bad news is that to create a
bound report you have to recreate the .Rpt file. I have found no way to
convert an existing report based on an ACCESS database to a bound report.

Andrew

Mon, 29 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal Reports bug - report off new query

Quote:

>I have a report designed in Crystal Reports (version 4.6.1.0 - bundled with
>VB5)

>The report originally pointed to a query in my database(MS Access) called
>qyrSPRDetails.  I now want to point the report to a different query name
>that has the exact same fields as the original query.  I don't think it is
>possible;  am I right?
>Database, Set Location only sets the location of the database file, not
>query within.
>And I really haven't been able to figure out what the Alias is for.  In
>Help, they imply that an Alias can be used in case your database name
>changes.  However, as far as I can see, that's what the Database, Set
>Location is for.  If you change the Alias for an object, then all the
>report fields indicate they are bound to the new Alias name, but of what
>benefit is this really?  What if you want to do something useful like
>actually bind your report to another object? What do you do if a query or
>stored procedure changes name?  Recreate all your reports that involved
>that object I suppose.  Brutal.

>If anyone else has had this problem or has found a solution, I'd really
>appreciate hearing from you.

>Trevor Gould

Change the alias to whatever you want, "cat", "dog", "fox", it makes no
difference. Then do a Set Location to the new query. If you are going to pass
parms, choose the (Proc) version of the query. If this is a parm query, you will
be asked to enter the parms after the message that the database has changed. So
long as the field names are exactly the same as the old query, all will be well.

HOWEVER, we had a lot of problems when we did a verify database. It corrupted
the report but you won't find out unitl it won't re-open (in the IDE). Stay away
from Verify Database. Anyway, you don't need it as Set Location does the exact
same thing.

BTW, if you are using 5.0, I suggest you not do the .108 upgrade. It causes more
problems than it cures. All in all, Crystal 5.0 is a really poorly programmed
piece of software that should have never been released. I'm going to drop it in
favor of the Viedosoft Reports .ocx. and use the Access report writer. I have
been faxing Crystal until I've melted down the machine and the answers I get are
either gibberish or wrong. This is a company that deserves to be cast adrift by
the developer community. I think their attitude is "we're the industry standard
so we don't have to care about the quality of our products. Let the users be
damned."

Alan Canton
Consultant / Author
ComputerMoney: Making It In High-Tech Consulting *All you ever needed to know
about becoming a consultant* (Adams-Blake Pub., Fair Oaks, CA., $29.95, 320p,
ISBN 1-883422-01-9, bookstores, libraries, or Visa/MC/AMEX 1-800-368-ADAM)

--
Adams-Blake Publishing
http://www.adams-blake.com

Tue, 30 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Looking for Crystal report expert (to do report from Soffront Track bug database)

2. CRYSTAL REPORT, run time query report by date

3. Crystal Reports 6.0 RDC, new instance each report?

4. Q: Pass a SQL query from VB to crystal report sub-report

5. sub-report (2 query's ) in crystal reports

6. Help with a join query into Crystal Reports 6 Exception Report

7. Crystal Reports and the New Data report Designer

8. sub-report (2 query's ) in crystal reports

9. Printing Crystal Reports without Crystal Control ActiveX or Crystal Reports API call

10. Using Sub Query in Sql Query - Crystal Report 5.0

11. Crystal report based on Crystal query, doesnt work

12. How to run Queries and Reports off Linked Tables