background load form
Author Message
 background load form

First Put the statement SHOW in the form_load procedure- the user will have
something to look at , at least.

A progress bar of the recordset load (or a fake timer driver one) will
occupy them and show them that the computer is real busy - not dead.

If it is possible - use RDO and asynchronous recordsets - you make the call
and the recordset is populated in the backgorund, control returns to the
program instantly... Pretty useless if the form is soley to edit this
recordset.  But if there is something else that the user can do then do the
async call.

Syd

Quote:

>i have a slow-loading form, due to filling a recordset via a wan
>connection, which i would like to background load so that when it's time
>for the user to see the form they don't have to wait while the rst
>fills.  can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?

>i put a "load (frmCriteria)" in the form load event of my main form but
>that just slowed down my main form loading.  i hear people talking about
>this all the time so i must be missing something simple.  i'd prefer not
>to use a spash screen while the app loads but if that's the only way to
>trick the user, i guess i'd do it.

>thanks, Andre

Wed, 23 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 background load form
i have a slow-loading form, due to filling a recordset via a wan
connection, which i would like to background load so that when it's time
for the user to see the form they don't have to wait while the rst
fills.  can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?

i put a "load (frmCriteria)" in the form load event of my main form but
that just slowed down my main form loading.  i hear people talking about
this all the time so i must be missing something simple.  i'd prefer not
to use a spash screen while the app loads but if that's the only way to
trick the user, i guess i'd do it.

thanks, Andre

Thu, 24 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 background load form
How about using a Sub Main as your startup and doing something like this:

Sub Main()
    frmMain.Show
    frmMain.Refresh
    Load frmCriteria
end Sub

I would put some DoEvents in any long running loops in the Form_Load of the
form where the data is being filled in. Additionally you could put a small
progress bar somewhere in frmMain to show the progress of data loading.

- Niraj

Quote:

> i have a slow-loading form, due to filling a recordset via a wan
> connection, which i would like to background load so that when it's time
> for the user to see the form they don't have to wait while the rst
> fills.  can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?

> i put a "load (frmCriteria)" in the form load event of my main form but
> that just slowed down my main form loading.  i hear people talking about
> this all the time so i must be missing something simple.  i'd prefer not
> to use a spash screen while the app loads but if that's the only way to
> trick the user, i guess i'd do it.

> thanks, Andre

Thu, 24 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 background load form
We had a similar problem.   What we did was create an Active exe program
that popups up a form when called and displays "processing" on a long
button.  Pressing this button will set a public boolean variable (in the
activex exe). Our loading loop checks a boolean value to see if it has been
triggered.  If so, it exits it exits.

If what you want to do is background load you need to create an activex exe
to do the load and then notify you when it is complete.  Since it is an
activex exe, it is a seperate program running in the background.

Doevents would work, the side effects are not positive, and executing
"doevents" is a lot slower then checking a boolean value for confirmation.

Ben

p.s. If you would like the code from the routine, email me at work at

Quote:

>i have a slow-loading form, due to filling a recordset via a wan
>connection, which i would like to background load so that when it's time
>for the user to see the form they don't have to wait while the rst
>fills.  can anyone tell me how to do this correctly?

>i put a "load (frmCriteria)" in the form load event of my main form but
>that just slowed down my main form loading.  i hear people talking about
>this all the time so i must be missing something simple.  i'd prefer not
>to use a spash screen while the app loads but if that's the only way to
>trick the user, i guess i'd do it.

>thanks, Andre

Fri, 08 Jun 2001 03:00:00 GMT

2. Second Form Loaded In Background?!?

3. load another form form one form

4. Display Form from a background form

5. Combobox/vaSpread Load behaviour in SSTab while form loads

6. Not a loaded class error when loading form

7. VB6: application in runtime environment with error on loading form: ado cannot load object

8. How to load resorces of a form that is not loaded

9. Continue loading a recordset in the background?

10. load recordset at background

12. Loaded Icon has black background instead of transparent.