Need advice on selecting database engine and hardware
Author Message
 Need advice on selecting database engine and hardware

I need a database engine and computer hardware that will
create and query LARGE tables FAST! I can't use Jet or
MSDE because each database is limited to 2.0 GB. So here
are my questions:

1.  Is SQL Server the next best choice? I don't have multi-
users. I need the server and client on the same computer.

2.  What computer hardware should I consider in maximizing
querying speed (microprocessor, memory, hard drive, etc.)?

Thanks a bunch!

Tue, 06 Dec 2005 02:58:43 GMT
 Need advice on selecting database engine and hardware
You might consider MySql for a backend, it's open source and free unless you
are selling your product.  I'm using, there's a steep learning curve, but
I've liked what I've seen so far.  If you're interested check out
www.MySQL.com

Kirk

Quote:
> I need a database engine and computer hardware that will
> create and query LARGE tables FAST! I can't use Jet or
> MSDE because each database is limited to 2.0 GB. So here
> are my questions:

> 1.  Is SQL Server the next best choice? I don't have multi-
> users. I need the server and client on the same computer.

> 2.  What computer hardware should I consider in maximizing
> querying speed (microprocessor, memory, hard drive, etc.)?

> Thanks a bunch!

Tue, 06 Dec 2005 10:38:09 GMT

1. Advice with SLOW SELECTs against large SQL Server database

2. Looking for Hardware Key ("dongle") advice

3. HELP! Need advice on distributed database

4. Need some database advice

5. Need advice accessing an Oracle database

6. Database engine needed

7. Need advice to speed up access to database

8. need advice on VB database books

9. Need a fast database engine for VB, suggestions?

10. Need Advice on Graphics and Database

11. Need advice about best Database controls

12. Need Some Advice on Sharing Access Database Files