New to VB: what is the most common/best way to create data entry screens?
Author Message
 New to VB: what is the most common/best way to create data entry screens?

i need to create a screen that contains many foreign keys...  it's a basic
"client info" form; however, several of the fields in the table are numeric
numbers that point to another table.  for example, some of the fields are
name, address, city, state, zip, phone, and customer type.... and customer
type will refer to a table called "tblCustomerType"...  so that, when I am
entering data about a client, I will select the customer type from a combo
box and what ever type is selected, the reference number (primary id for
that type) is stored in the field in "CustomerInfo"

i've looked at the Data Form Wizard, and while it makes creating quick
screens, i doesn't allow for referencing fields in other tables.

i'm thinking that i would have to code this manually?  which i could do....
but i was just wondering if there was an easier way.

right now, i am using a MDB.

any ideas?

andrew

Sat, 01 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 New to VB: what is the most common/best way to create data entry screens?
Well... if you are using numeric keys as your refernce you can do something
kind of in code at the same time you populate the combo box.  There is an
ItemData property with combo boxes that allows you specify alternate values
for the text showing up in a combo list.  The downfall is that as far as I
am aware it only allows for numerical values.  So if any of your keys are
char(1) or something like that then you would have to do some fancy
algorithm to convert ascii strings to a unique number that you can encode
and decode at will.  But again if it is numeric then the ItemData should
give you what you need.

Hope this helps

Nick August

Quote:
> i need to create a screen that contains many foreign keys...  it's a basic
> "client info" form; however, several of the fields in the table are
numeric
> numbers that point to another table.  for example, some of the fields are
> name, address, city, state, zip, phone, and customer type.... and customer
> type will refer to a table called "tblCustomerType"...  so that, when I am
> entering data about a client, I will select the customer type from a combo
> box and what ever type is selected, the reference number (primary id for
> that type) is stored in the field in "CustomerInfo"

> i've looked at the Data Form Wizard, and while it makes creating quick
> screens, i doesn't allow for referencing fields in other tables.

> i'm thinking that i would have to code this manually?  which i could
do....
> but i was just wondering if there was an easier way.

> right now, i am using a MDB.

> any ideas?

> andrew

Tue, 04 Dec 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. integration of vb desktop app and a asp web based data entry screen to same db

2. Help! DE Data Entry, Screen Refresh Data Update

3. Data Entry Screen Help Needed

4. simple data entry screen

5. V-Scrollbar on a data entry screen

6. What is the best way to use ado with data entry

7. Best site for freelancer work (PHP, Web site, java, oracle sql, php, data entry)

8. create a new phone book entry by software

9. How can I create new entry in phonebook??

10. How can I create new entry in phonebook??

11. How to create new entry in Dialup Networking?

12. How can I create new entry in phonebook??