conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
Author Message
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.

I want to update my VB/Access program to an Access XP database. I've read
that I have to set a reference to DAO 3.6 in VB in order to connect to the
Access XP database. Since the actual app. connects to an Access 97 database
at several offices I was wondering whether I have to make any necessary
adjustments to the users PC ? After that the reference is set to DAO 3.6 and
a new version has been compiled will my app. still work at the users PC ?

regards,
Oscar

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 01:16:03 GMT
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
The DAO 3.6 code will work with both Access 97 and Access XP databases. You
will need to install the DAO 3.6 runtime files on your users' machines. You
can include them in a setup package, or you can have them download MDAC 3.51
(later versions do not contain DAO) and/or MS Jet 4.0 SP3 from
http://www.microsoft.com/data

HTH

Brian

Quote:
> I want to update my VB/Access program to an Access XP database. I've read
> that I have to set a reference to DAO 3.6 in VB in order to connect to the
> Access XP database. Since the actual app. connects to an Access 97
database
> at several offices I was wondering whether I have to make any necessary
> adjustments to the users PC ? After that the reference is set to DAO 3.6
and
> a new version has been compiled will my app. still work at the users PC ?

> regards,
> Oscar

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:28:40 GMT
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
Brian,

In case some offices will stay at Access would this mean that I don't need
to install DAO 3.6 runtime files ?

Quote:

?

> > regards,
> > Oscar

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:44:27 GMT
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
If you change your data access code to DAO 3.6, you would need to install
the DAO 3.6 files on all of the computers that use the application,
including the ones that stay on Access 97.

Quote:
> Brian,

> In case some offices will stay at Access would this mean that I don't need
> to install DAO 3.6 runtime files ?

> > The DAO 3.6 code will work with both Access 97 and Access XP databases.
> You
> > will need to install the DAO 3.6 runtime files on your users' machines.
> You
> > can include them in a setup package, or you can have them download MDAC
> 3.51
> > (later versions do not contain DAO) and/or MS Jet 4.0 SP3 from
> > http://www.microsoft.com/data

> > HTH

> > Brian

> > > I want to update my VB/Access program to an Access XP database. I've
> read
> > > that I have to set a reference to DAO 3.6 in VB in order to connect to
> the
> > > Access XP database. Since the actual app. connects to an Access 97
> > database
> > > at several offices I was wondering whether I have to make any
necessary
> > > adjustments to the users PC ? After that the reference is set to DAO
3.6
> > and
> > > a new version has been compiled will my app. still work at the users
PC
> ?

> > > regards,
> > > Oscar

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 02:59:17 GMT
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
Is anything possible to detect the DAO version of the users' machine and
after this adress the right DAO in the compiled code. I guess that a
reference has to be set to both DAO 3.51 and 3.6. I don't know whether this
is possible.

Quote:
> If you change your data access code to DAO 3.6, you would need to install
> the DAO 3.6 files on all of the computers that use the application,
> including the ones that stay on Access 97.

> > Brian,

> > In case some offices will stay at Access would this mean that I don't
need
> > to install DAO 3.6 runtime files ?

> > > The DAO 3.6 code will work with both Access 97 and Access XP
databases.
> > You
> > > will need to install the DAO 3.6 runtime files on your users'
machines.
> > You
> > > can include them in a setup package, or you can have them download
MDAC
> > 3.51
> > > (later versions do not contain DAO) and/or MS Jet 4.0 SP3 from
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/data

> > > HTH

> > > Brian

> > read
> > the
> > > database
> necessary
> 3.6
> > > and
> PC
> > ?

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 03:58:04 GMT
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
The version of DAO is the one referenced in your program, you need to
reference the verion that you want to use and then make sure that the .dlls
for that version are loaded on the user's machine. Don't reference both
versions in your program, only one version, otherwise you'll end up with a
lot of headaches.

It does not matter what is on the user's machine now, just reference the
version that you want to use in your project, and then install it on the
user's machine.

HTH

Brian

Quote:
> Is anything possible to detect the DAO version of the users' machine and
> after this adress the right DAO in the compiled code. I guess that a
> reference has to be set to both DAO 3.51 and 3.6. I don't know whether
this
> is possible.

> > If you change your data access code to DAO 3.6, you would need to
install
> > the DAO 3.6 files on all of the computers that use the application,
> > including the ones that stay on Access 97.

> > > Brian,

> > > In case some offices will stay at Access would this mean that I don't
> need
> > > to install DAO 3.6 runtime files ?

> databases.
> > > You
> machines.
> > > You
> MDAC
> > > 3.51

I've
> > > read
> > > the
> > necessary
DAO
> > 3.6
> > PC
> > > ?

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:22:57 GMT
 conversion Access 97 to Access XP with VB app.
thanks for your help Brian.

Oscar

Quote:
> The version of DAO is the one referenced in your program, you need to
> reference the verion that you want to use and then make sure that the
.dlls
> for that version are loaded on the user's machine. Don't reference both
> versions in your program, only one version, otherwise you'll end up with a
> lot of headaches.

> It does not matter what is on the user's machine now, just reference the
> version that you want to use in your project, and then install it on the
> user's machine.

> HTH

> Brian

> > Is anything possible to detect the DAO version of the users' machine and
> > after this adress the right DAO in the compiled code. I guess that a
> > reference has to be set to both DAO 3.51 and 3.6. I don't know whether
> this
> > is possible.

> > > If you change your data access code to DAO 3.6, you would need to
> install
> > > the DAO 3.6 files on all of the computers that use the application,
> > > including the ones that stay on Access 97.

> > need

> > databases.
> > machines.
> > MDAC

> I've
> connect
> > > necessary
> DAO
> > > 3.6
> users
> > > PC

Wed, 13 Oct 2004 04:58:59 GMT

1. Conversion error from Access 2000 to Access 97

2. Access 2.0 to Access 97 conversion

3. access 2.0 to access 97 date conversion bug

4. Access 2 To Access 97 Conversion Problem

5. Access 97 vs Access 2002 (XP)

6. Access 95/97 - Access II Conversion

7. VB and ACCESS 97 and Windows XP: Run-Time Error 429

8. distributing an app written in access 2000 runtime but client still uses access 97

9. VB6/Access 97 app on computer running Access 2000

10. VB6/Access 97 app on computer running Access 2000

11. VB App Check if Access 97 / 2000

12. VB app slower after converting database from Access 97 to 2000