From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???
Author Message
 From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???

I'm in a situation where SqlNet is installed on a number of client pc's. I
want to connect to Oracle from a little Visual Basic program just to read
one record in one table. Is it possible to accomplish this without
installing an odbc-driver on every pc (a lot of extra effort and possible
problems just for one simple select...).  I have seen it work via a delphi
app but can't think of a way to do it from Vb.

Sat, 18 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???
You can try using ADO's Oracle Providor.

It bypasses the ODBC layer but the only caveat is that you need to have ADO
installed, which will be installed with Internet Explorer.

Quote:

>I'm in a situation where SqlNet is installed on a number of client pc's. I
>want to connect to Oracle from a little Visual Basic program just to read
>one record in one table. Is it possible to accomplish this without
>installing an odbc-driver on every pc (a lot of extra effort and possible
>problems just for one simple select...).  I have seen it work via a Delphi
>app but can't think of a way to do it from Vb.

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???
Ad,

What about using Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O) ? It takes directly with
SQL*Net, no need to slow done with ODBC

Chris

Quote:

> I'm in a situation where SqlNet is installed on a number of client pc's. I
> want to connect to Oracle from a little Visual Basic program just to read
> one record in one table. Is it possible to accomplish this without
> installing an odbc-driver on every pc (a lot of extra effort and possible
> problems just for one simple select...).  I have seen it work via a Delphi
> app but can't think of a way to do it from Vb.

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???
With a Delphi app, you can make use of Interbase for the connection, and all
you're doing is using something in the place of ODBC.  It's also possible
(though I havne't seen one - but, then again, I've only done one project
with Delphi) that someone wrote some custom code for direct linkage to
Oracle, but I doubt it.

Is your problem that you don't want to have a DSN set up on every machine,
or is it that the Oracle driver may not be installed in the local ODBC
installation?  You can address either item:

For the DSN, you can make use of DSN-less connections.  Any of the object
models (DAO, RDO, ADO) support this notion - you just have to supply some
additional information in the connect string (database, server, driver).

For the driver, there are special calls in DAO and RDO that will let you
install the new driver right within your VB program.  I'm not aware of
anything similar in ADO (in fact, I've fairly certain you can't do it).

Rob

Quote:

>I'm in a situation where SqlNet is installed on a number of client pc's. I
>want to connect to Oracle from a little Visual Basic program just to read
>one record in one table. Is it possible to accomplish this without
>installing an odbc-driver on every pc (a lot of extra effort and possible
>problems just for one simple select...).  I have seen it work via a Delphi
>app but can't think of a way to do it from Vb.

Sun, 19 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???
My experience is one of two things...  use the oracle objects for OLE.  or
install the ODBC driver and use RDO or ADO.  Perhaps the Oracle Objects is
installed on every machine.   It is not the best performer...  Long term,
with the idea you may need additional data, I would be inclined to install
the ODBC driver.
Quote:

>I'm in a situation where SqlNet is installed on a number of client pc's. I
>want to connect to Oracle from a little Visual Basic program just to read
>one record in one table. Is it possible to accomplish this without
>installing an odbc-driver on every pc (a lot of extra effort and possible
>problems just for one simple select...).  I have seen it work via a Delphi
>app but can't think of a way to do it from Vb.

Mon, 20 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???
Try this...

Dim cn as new adodb.connection
With cn
    .CursorLocation = adUseClient
    .ConnectString = "Username=SYSTEM; Password=MANAGER;Data Source =
ServiceName"
    .CommandTimeOut = 3
    .Provider = "MSDAORA"
    .Open
End With

Quote:
>Ad,

>What about using Oracle Objects for OLE (OO4O) ? It takes directly with
>SQL*Net, no need to slow done with ODBC

>Chris

>> I'm in a situation where SqlNet is installed on a number of client pc's.
>> want to connect to Oracle from a little Visual Basic program just to read
>> one record in one table. Is it possible to accomplish this without
>> installing an odbc-driver on every pc (a lot of extra effort and possible
>> problems just for one simple select...).  I have seen it work via a
Delphi
>> app but can't think of a way to do it from Vb.

Sat, 25 Aug 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB-Oracle without ODBC??

2. Oracle ODBC driver / Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle

3. Direct connection to Oracle without ODBC?

4. Accessing Oracle from VB5 without 32-bit ODBC or OO4O (LONG)

5. Oracle Objects vs Oracle ODBC in VB

6. HOWTO connecting to Oracle database without Oracle Client?

7. Can ADO connect to Oracle without Oracle client???

8. Oracle connection without Oracle client

9. NT3.51-Oracle ODBC-Oracle DB

10. HELP on connection to Oracle with Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver

11. Can't open Oracle database with DAO35 and Oracle-ODBC

12. ODBC error, Jet->ODBC->Oracle