problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'
Author Message
 problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'

Well this is great...
Everybody check your books online... top 20 new features.
See that part where it says you can create your own events?
Well, it's true, kinda...
As long as your client and server components reside on the same machine!
Yep, that's right... after completely exhausting myself trying to figure
out why my client doesn't work on another machine, i finally called MS.
Seems you can't set a reference WithEvents to an ActiveX component on
another machine to use Remote Automation to watch for events.
After talking with the MS guy on the phone he said that yes, 'This is a
known issue.'
Not a bug. A 'known issue'. Therefore, yes, it will count as an incident
call.
Soooo... some of you may be thinking, no biggy... just use DCOM. I thought
this might work and asked the tech that, too. He put me on hold while
checking into it, then came back and sayed he could not confirm 100% as to
if this would work or fail, but he would lean towards it NOT working.
So... forget using Events to trigger routines in client components located
across the enterprise, back to CallBacks.
Just kinda gets me, Visual Studio ENTERPRISE and one of the top 20 new
features has some serious 'KNOW ISSUES'

-Sean Newton
Laser Storm, Inc

Sun, 07 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'

Do you know if this is a problem with VB5-created servers, or is the
problem with the client. What I'm wondering is if this problem would exist
if I created the server with VC++ and ran it over DCOM.

--
Jeff Kohn
ORCA Technologies, Inc.

Quote:
> Well this is great...
> Everybody check your books online... top 20 new features.
> See that part where it says you can create your own events?
> Well, it's true, kinda...
> As long as your client and server components reside on the same machine!
> Yep, that's right... after completely exhausting myself trying to figure
> out why my client doesn't work on another machine, i finally called MS.
> Seems you can't set a reference WithEvents to an ActiveX component on
> another machine to use Remote Automation to watch for events.
> After talking with the MS guy on the phone he said that yes, 'This is a
> known issue.'
> Not a bug. A 'known issue'. Therefore, yes, it will count as an incident
> call.
> Soooo... some of you may be thinking, no biggy... just use DCOM. I
thought
> this might work and asked the tech that, too. He put me on hold while
> checking into it, then came back and sayed he could not confirm 100% as
> if this would work or fail, but he would lean towards it NOT working.
> So... forget using Events to trigger routines in client components
located
> across the enterprise, back to CallBacks.
> Just kinda gets me, Visual Studio ENTERPRISE and one of the top 20 new
> features has some serious 'KNOW ISSUES'

> -Sean Newton
> Laser Storm, Inc

Tue, 09 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'

I can confirm that Events do not work using VB5 Client & Server over DCOM,
unless the Client & Server both are on the same machine.

The client of a simple Collection-type server
 - On 1 machine works:  fine Withevents
 - Across 2 machines: Throws an error on attempting to reference the
                        collected object
 - Across 2 machines: Works (in defeatured fashion) if  the word
                                        "Withevents" is edited out.

Also, I cannot get the Coffe Percolator example to work across machines.

Liam Holman

Quote:

> > Well this is great...
> > Soooo... some of you may be thinking, no biggy... just use DCOM. I
> thought
> > this might work and asked the tech that, too. He put me on hold while
> > checking into it, then came back and sayed he could not confirm 100% as
> > if this would work or fail, but he would lean towards it NOT working.
> > So... forget using Events to trigger routines in client components
> located
> > across the enterprise, back to CallBacks.
> > Just kinda gets me, Visual Studio ENTERPRISE and one of the top 20 new
> > features has some serious 'KNOW ISSUES'

> > -Sean Newton
> > Laser Storm, Inc

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'

Quote:
> I can confirm that Events do not work using VB5 Client & Server over
DCOM,
> unless the Client & Server both are on the same machine.

While I had this problem using Remote Automation (NT 4, sp2), I did not
have it using DCOM (system upgraded to sp3). Perhaps Service Pack 3
fixed things?
             Gary Hogan

Tue, 23 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'

2. problems with WithEvents... 'Known Issue'

3. Reflection problems with 'withevents'

4. Issue with 'dim As Database'

5. MP3 'ID3 Tag' Issue

6. Help-don't know what i'm missing

7. I'd like to know the essential VB4 DLL's needed to an executable

8. Know problem with VB4-16bit / Win95 / Shell / and certain OCX's

9. DDE DDDoesn't (knowing when something's copied to the clipboard)

10. Don't know if i'm in the right newsgroup

11. DDE DDoesn't (knowing when something's copied to the clipboard)