VB5 and dbf files...any quirks?
Author Message
 VB5 and dbf files...any quirks?

Are there any disadvantages to using dbf instead of mdb?

I have a Forms program (FormFlow) that I use at work and we use a dbf
file to store all the data associated with a form.  I'd like to
program a simple frontend so that it will be easier for some of my
coworkers to work with.  Most of what I read about has to do with  VB
Access.  Is there anything I should be aware of when using a dbf file
with VB?

Most books refer to Access, can I use the same commands to perform the
most common dbase functions with a dbf file?

Is there a function that will convert a dbf file to mdb?

How about from from mdb to dbf?

As you can tell I'm no Database guru, but I'm willing to learn.  Any
suggestions would be helpful.
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
TJ
UIN:  1889495
Remove:  NO SPAM
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5 and dbf files...any quirks?

Quote:
>Are there any disadvantages to using dbf instead of mdb?

You have to load Jet either way in order to work with the dbf file, so
there's the extra overhead to consider. Jet is more efficient working
with MDB files, but it can work with dbf's too.

Quote:
>Is there anything I should be aware of when using a dbf file
>with VB?

The trickiest part is being sure that you have the dbf indexes
properly defined. You're actually best off *attaching* the dbf files
in an Access MDB file, and then going through the attachment.
Basically you can then just treat the table as if it were a standard
Jet table.

Quote:
>Most books refer to Access, can I use the same commands to perform the
>most common dbase functions with a dbf file?

Yes.

Quote:
>Is there a function that will convert a dbf file to mdb?

A "dbf" is a table. An "mdb" is a database. A database can have many
tables. You can attach to many dbf files in a single mdb. If you have
Access it can automatically import the dbf into a Jet table if you
want. With pure VB code you would need to write your own import
routine.

Quote:
>How about from from mdb to dbf?

Same thing.

-- Jim Ferguson, FMS
   http://www.fmsinc.com

Tue, 29 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Convert Access 2.0 Dbf-file to Access 97 Dbf-file

2. How to combine the data from two .dbf database file to one new .dbf database fil

3. DbLib - VB5 - DBF files - record locking compatability??

4. Create a dbf file in VB5

5. Can I use VB5 to read data from *.dbf file

6. VB5 DBF files not posting

7. Create a dbf file in VB5

8. strange VB5 quirk

9. replace function quirk when importing text file to Access table

10. Copy DBF/DBT files to MDB files

11. SOS -- file structure of "dbf" file

12. Converting an ASCII file to .DBF file using VB