SQL-Debugging (VisualStudio) just doesnt work - Urgent 
Author Message
 SQL-Debugging (VisualStudio) just doesnt work - Urgent

Hello

I have a huge number of large stored procedures for an important
project. As every SQL-Programmer knows, debugging them is a cruel and
lengthy process.
I hoped for VisualStudio Enterprise to come. Now I installed it and the
SQL DEBUGGING JUST DOESNT WORK.
In the DeveloperStudio Environment, I can set breakpoints and start the
debugging Process. The Automation manager starts, the screen switches to
debugging mode (with watch window a.s.o.), then returns instantly to the
normal screen. No yellow bar, no variable watchin', no break at
breakpoints.
The result however of the query displays correctly.

In the VisualBasic Environment, the T-SQL de{*filter*} gives me the
following error message:
"The query could not be debugged due to a problem coordinating Events
with the server. Check the server and the client log to find the exact
cause, fix the problem and try again."

In the servers errorlog i find the message:
97/05/22 23:27:15.46 spid15   Cannot load the DLL 'SDI'. Reason:
'(null)'

I was seeking for a "client log" but dont know how to find it.

According to online documentation, sdi50.dll is needed for debugging.
sdi50.dll is correctly installed in e:\mssql\binn\
On the VisualStudio CD 4 i didnt find another file matching the sdi*
pattern. Is sdi.dll another dll needed and where may I get it from?

To make things clear, I installed everything according to the
documentation:
- SQL Server 6.5 (logging on NOT as system account)
- SQL Server Service Pack 1
- NT Service Pack 2 as provided with VisualStudio (CD 4)
- Visual C++ Server Extensions

If anyone has an idea what I might try to fix the error, pl. help.

checkin' the usenet every hour.

Pl. forgive this lengty posting and overlook my spelling errors. Im just
in troubles...

ThanX
Balthasar Glaettli



Mon, 08 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 SQL-Debugging (VisualStudio) just doesnt work - Urgent

You need at least SQL Server service pack 2 to do the debugging.
 It says SP1 is ok, but I could not get it to work until SP2 was installed.

I installed the TSQL de{*filter*} from the VB5 Release CD. For this to work
you must run the SDI_NT4.exe on the SQL Server machine, which installs
SDI.DLL.

--
David King



Quote:
> I hoped for VisualStudio Enterprise to come. Now I installed it and the
> SQL DEBUGGING JUST DOESNT WORK.
> In the VisualBasic Environment, the T-SQL de{*filter*} gives me the
> following error message:
> "The query could not be debugged due to a problem coordinating Events
> with the server. Check the server and the client log to find the exact
> cause, fix the problem and try again."

> In the servers errorlog i find the message:
> 97/05/22 23:27:15.46 spid15   Cannot load the DLL 'SDI'. Reason:
> '(null)'

> According to online documentation, sdi50.dll is needed for debugging.
> sdi50.dll is correctly installed in e:\mssql\binn\
> On the VisualStudio CD 4 i didnt find another file matching the sdi*
> pattern. Is sdi.dll another dll needed and where may I get it from?





Sat, 13 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 SQL-Debugging (VisualStudio) just doesnt work - Urgent

I am confused as to which tools you are using. sdi50 is a VC++ 5.0
Enterprise component, but you say you are getting errors from Visual Basic.
Each uses its own SQL de{*filter*} components on the server, and while they
co-habit fine, VC cannot use the VB server components and vice versa.

With all SQL de{*filter*} Setup problems, the Event Log is the place to look
both on the SQL Server machine and the machine running MSDev. (I don't know
about VB).

Your error log says it cannot find SDI.dll which is either a VC++ 4.2 or VB
component. VC5 uses SDI50.DLL. SQL Server SP2 is preferred, but SP1 will
work in most cases.

Trust me in saying that once SQL debugging works, you can't live without
it. However for a number of reasons, Setup can sometimes be a painful
experience. I'm sure we must have a KB article on the most common problems.
At least I hope so.

--
The opinions expressed in this message are my own personal views
and do not reflect the official views of Microsoft Corporation.My responses
are not to be considered official technical support or advice.
If you need guaranteed response, contact
Microsoft's official technical support channels.



Quote:
> Hello

> I have a huge number of large stored procedures for an important
> project. As every SQL-Programmer knows, debugging them is a cruel and
> lengthy process.
> I hoped for VisualStudio Enterprise to come. Now I installed it and the
> SQL DEBUGGING JUST DOESNT WORK.
> In the DeveloperStudio Environment, I can set breakpoints and start the
> debugging Process. The Automation manager starts, the screen switches to
> debugging mode (with watch window a.s.o.), then returns instantly to the
> normal screen. No yellow bar, no variable watchin', no break at
> breakpoints.
> The result however of the query displays correctly.

> In the VisualBasic Environment, the T-SQL de{*filter*} gives me the
> following error message:
> "The query could not be debugged due to a problem coordinating Events
> with the server. Check the server and the client log to find the exact
> cause, fix the problem and try again."

> In the servers errorlog i find the message:
> 97/05/22 23:27:15.46 spid15   Cannot load the DLL 'SDI'. Reason:
> '(null)'

> I was seeking for a "client log" but dont know how to find it.

> According to online documentation, sdi50.dll is needed for debugging.
> sdi50.dll is correctly installed in e:\mssql\binn\
> On the VisualStudio CD 4 i didnt find another file matching the sdi*
> pattern. Is sdi.dll another dll needed and where may I get it from?

> To make things clear, I installed everything according to the
> documentation:
> - SQL Server 6.5 (logging on NOT as system account)
> - SQL Server Service Pack 1
> - NT Service Pack 2 as provided with VisualStudio (CD 4)
> - Visual C++ Server Extensions

> If anyone has an idea what I might try to fix the error, pl. help.

> checkin' the usenet every hour.

> Pl. forgive this lengty posting and overlook my spelling errors. Im just
> in troubles...

> ThanX
> Balthasar Glaettli




Sun, 14 Nov 1999 03:00:00 GMT  
 
 [ 3 post ] 

 Relevant Pages 

1. Urgent- Like operator doesnt work

2. How to debug jscript programs with VisualStudio?

3. SQL doesnt work in ADO

4. DAO Sql statement doesnt work in an ADO environment

5. Settnig OBJECT property doesnt work with <PARAM tag but works in VBScript

6. Server Doesnt Support Debugging of ASP.NET

7. SQL DEBUGGING DOES NOT WORK FOR DATETIME PARAMETERS

8. T-SQL debugging in VB doesn't work any more

9. Urgent SQL - WHERE dosn't work

10. HELP : SQL cannot works ! URGENT

11. Urgent : Oracle doesnt return error!!??

12. Doesnt install on windows 2000 -Urgent help please

 

 
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software