Runtime error '3228': Selected collating sequence not supported by the operating system
Author Message
 Runtime error '3228': Selected collating sequence not supported by the operating system

Hello folks,

Anyone ever got this error message from a VB app using DAO:
    Runtime error '3228': Selected collating sequence not supported by the
operating system

It happens to me all the times, when running compiled EXE files which uses
DAO interface. I get the error as soon as I try to open/access the database.

Now, if I try to open the same prog in VB and run it from within there,
everything works fine.

Also, if I do a reboot and try to start the program once more, everything is
fine.

But, after some hours messing around with the PC, doing all kind of shit
(programming VB / VC, surfing the net, Word / Excel / Access, etc...), I
usually get the error back.

My system have installed Microsoft Office 2000 and Visual Basic 6.0. I don't
think I ever had the error when running VB5, but then again I probably
didn't run Office 2000 either...

My guess is it has something to do with ADO / DAO incompatibility...?

Any solution?

Best regards,

Gard Bjering
Options AS

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 10:19:57 GMT
 Runtime error '3228': Selected collating sequence not supported by the operating system

This is what the MSDN says:

"Selected collating sequence not supported by the operating system. (Error 3228)

There is an invalid CollatingSequence setting in the Paradox key of the Windows Registry.
To fix the CollatingSequence setting:

    1: Exit your application.
    2: Start the Registry Editor, navigate to the \HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Jet\3.5\Engines\Paradox key, and select the CollatingSequence value.
    3: On the Edit menu, click Modify.
    4: Specify either ASCII or International in the Value data box.
    5: Restart your application, and then try the operation again. "

HTH,
Tore.

Quote:

> Hello folks,

> Anyone ever got this error message from a VB app using DAO:
>     Runtime error '3228': Selected collating sequence not supported by the
> operating system

> It happens to me all the times, when running compiled EXE files which uses
> DAO interface. I get the error as soon as I try to open/access the database.

> Now, if I try to open the same prog in VB and run it from within there,
> everything works fine.

> Also, if I do a reboot and try to start the program once more, everything is
> fine.

> But, after some hours messing around with the PC, doing all kind of shit
> (programming VB / VC, surfing the net, Word / Excel / Access, etc...), I
> usually get the error back.

> My system have installed Microsoft Office 2000 and Visual Basic 6.0. I don't
> think I ever had the error when running VB5, but then again I probably
> didn't run Office 2000 either...

> My guess is it has something to do with ADO / DAO incompatibility...?

> Any solution?

> Best regards,

> Gard Bjering
> Options AS

Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:03:17 GMT

1. Selected Collating Sequence... Error 3228

2. collating sequence not supported

3. Collating Sequence not supported by OS

4. Selected collating sequence error

5. Class doesn't support Automation or does not support expected interface (Error 430)

6. Runtime error '429' at runtime

7. Runtime error '429' at runtime

8. Runtime error '429' at runtime

9. Runtime error ''800a01b6''

10. collating sequence error

11. runtime error '3421' datatype convertion error

12. Findfirst gives an error 3251 'operation is not supported for this type of object