ODBC CtlPanel Applet and System DSN's
Author Message
 ODBC CtlPanel Applet and System DSN's

Hi, everyone!  I have the basic code for creating System DSNs
programmatically finished, but am flummoxed at one problem.  Hope someone
can shed a little light in my dark corner... :)

Once the registry entries are created programmatically for the new System
DSN, and the appropriate entries in the ODBC.INI file have been created, all
seems well... the DSN's work beautifully (with Access or SQL Server).
However, the DSN's programmatically created DO NOT show up in the ODBC32
Control Panel applet.  If I go through the motions to create a DSN in the
ODBC32 applet, it will eventually tell me that the DSN already exists...

If anyone could enlighten me on what step I'm missing, I'd greatly
appreciate it!!

Thanks in Advance,
Steve Bottoms

Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC CtlPanel Applet and System DSN's
Steve,

If you could enlighten us as to programmatically how you are trying to do
this, we can help you better. I assume that you are using the Win32 API,
yes?

--
Manohar Kamath
Microsoft MVP - ASP

Quote:
> Hi, everyone!  I have the basic code for creating System DSNs
> programmatically finished, but am flummoxed at one problem.  Hope someone
> can shed a little light in my dark corner... :)

> Once the registry entries are created programmatically for the new System
> DSN, and the appropriate entries in the ODBC.INI file have been created,
all
> seems well... the DSN's work beautifully (with Access or SQL Server).
> However, the DSN's programmatically created DO NOT show up in the ODBC32
> Control Panel applet.  If I go through the motions to create a DSN in the
> ODBC32 applet, it will eventually tell me that the DSN already exists...

> If anyone could enlighten me on what step I'm missing, I'd greatly
> appreciate it!!

> Thanks in Advance,
> Steve Bottoms

Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBC CtlPanel Applet and System DSN's
Manohar, thanks!

I've tried two methods: using the SQLConfigDatasource method in
ODBCCP32.DLL, and directly writing the appropriate registry entries and
entries in the ODBC.INI file (using Win32API registry functions)...  At this
time I'm using VB6 (VB5 works the same) on a Win98 box...  also works fine
on an NT4 SP4 machine...

DSN's created with both methods and for Access and SQL Server work fine, and
are readily accessible from applications such as Visual Interdev and Cold
Fusion Studio, and SQL Queries to the datasources from ASP and Cold Fusion
work perfectly.  The only problem is that the new entries do not appear in
the ODBC32 Control Panel applet.

Thanks!
Steve Bottoms

Quote:

>Steve,

>If you could enlighten us as to programmatically how you are trying to do
>this, we can help you better. I assume that you are using the Win32 API,
>yes?

>--
>Manohar Kamath
>Microsoft MVP - ASP
>www.kamath.com Active Server Corner

>> Hi, everyone!  I have the basic code for creating System DSNs
>> programmatically finished, but am flummoxed at one problem.  Hope someone
>> can shed a little light in my dark corner... :)

>> Once the registry entries are created programmatically for the new System
>> DSN, and the appropriate entries in the ODBC.INI file have been created,
>all
>> seems well... the DSN's work beautifully (with Access or SQL Server).
>> However, the DSN's programmatically created DO NOT show up in the ODBC32
>> Control Panel applet.  If I go through the motions to create a DSN in the
>> ODBC32 applet, it will eventually tell me that the DSN already exists...

>> If anyone could enlighten me on what step I'm missing, I'd greatly
>> appreciate it!!

>> Thanks in Advance,
>> Steve Bottoms

Tue, 08 Jan 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. ODBC CtlPanel Applet and System DSN's

2. Crystal and ODBC DSN/DSN-less connections - do I need USER DSN or SYSTEM DSN

3. Creating ODBC System DSN by using ODBC API ?

4. which Dsn(Data Source Name) is Faster System DSN Or File DSN

5. ODBC system DSN

6. creating ODBC system DSN programatically

7. How to create a ODBC system DSN

8. How do I create a ODBC system DSN?

9. Creating ODBC System DSN entry

10. SQL Connection with a System DSN (ODBC)

11. odbc fil dsn oracle 8i connection won't work

12. ODBC DSN's