Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)
Author Message
 Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)

I'm having trouble with making a connection to the Internet. My database
resides in the internet, specifically
http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;Access97".
I'm developing a VB application that would access that database. Here's the
code:

    Dim con As New Adodb.Connection
    Dim rs As New Adodb.Recordset

    con.Open "Provider=MS Remote;Remote
Server= http://www.*-*-*.com/ ;DSN=Access97"
    rs.Open "Select * From Data", con
    con.Close

The first line works fine but the second line (rs.Open "Select...", con)
generates an error message that says "Internet Server Error". Why is this
so? Is there something wrong with the connection string? I tried adding the
username and password to the first line and it still won't work.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Debbie Chua

Calcmenu Philippines, Inc.

Mon, 23 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)
Hi,

I hope I understood your posting correctly. But it seems you want to access
a database from another machine via HTTP. There is a data access for that in
ADO and that is called RDS. RDS allows you to access databases via HTTP and
return recordsets from it also. All you need to do is check Microsoft Remote
Data Service 1.5 / 2.0 to enable the DLL.

Below is a sample code fragment that illustrates how to access a database
and return a recordset via HTTP.

Dim ads As New RDS.DataSpace
Dim adf As Object

    Set adf = ads.CreateObject("RDSServer.DataFactory",
"HTTP://207.5.46.217/")

    'Populate ListBox with Recordset
    Dim objADORs As Object
    Set objADORs = adf.Query("Access97", "Select * From Data")
    List1.Clear
    While Not objADORs.EOF
      List1.AddItem objADORs(0).Value
      objADORs.MoveNext
    Wend

Hope this helps you.

Thanks.

Quote:

>I'm having trouble with making a connection to the Internet. My database
>resides in the internet, specifically
>http://207.5.46.217/debbie/database/access97.mdb and the dsn = "Access97".
>I'm developing a VB application that would access that database. Here's the
>code:

>    Dim con As New Adodb.Connection
>    Dim rs As New Adodb.Recordset

>    con.Open "Provider=MS Remote;Remote
>Server=http://207.5.46.217/debbie/database;DSN=Access97"
>    rs.Open "Select * From Data", con
>    con.Close

>The first line works fine but the second line (rs.Open "Select...", con)
>generates an error message that says "Internet Server Error". Why is this
>so? Is there something wrong with the connection string? I tried adding the
>username and password to the first line and it still won't work.

>Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

>Debbie Chua

>Calcmenu Philippines, Inc.

Wed, 25 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)
To: B Gonzales

Thank you very much for your reply. I've tried it but there's still an error
"Internet Server Error". I guess there's a problem with our server, not with
the code.

Anyway, thanks again and hope you have a nice day.

EGS

Quote:
>Dim ads As New RDS.DataSpace
>Dim adf As Object

>    Set adf = ads.CreateObject("RDSServer.DataFactory",
>"HTTP://207.5.46.217/")

>    'Populate ListBox with Recordset
>    Dim objADORs As Object
>    Set objADORs = adf.Query("Access97", "Select * From Data")
>    List1.Clear
>    While Not objADORs.EOF
>      List1.AddItem objADORs(0).Value
>      objADORs.MoveNext
>    Wend

>Hope this helps you.

>Thanks.

Fri, 27 Apr 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Internet Connection through Ado (Internet Server Error)

2. ADO connection to SQL server via Internet uses wrong port on some computers

3. error messages reported by OLE DB /ADO with Access 2000 database at an internet server

4. Internet Server Error : In Project Central Server

5. HELP: error 8447 Internet Server Error

6. Establishing an internet connection from behind an authentication proxy server

7. DCOM problem connecting to server through ICS (internet connection sharing)

8. ADO Connection over the Internet??

9. Internet Client Error: Connection Reset

10. Error Connection to the internet, please help

11. Using ADO To Connect To ACCESS/SQL Server Across Internet

12. MS SQL connection string for remote internet connection?