Should I migrate to RDO?
Author Message
 Should I migrate to RDO?

I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
within.

My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

Any insight will be appreciated.

Randy Gritton

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

If you are thinking of migrating, think about ADO. It has a great object
model and will work against either Access or SQL Server, so you would be
ready should anything change.

good luck!
Deborah Kurata
InStep Consulting Group
InStep Technologies, Inc.
www.insteptech.com

Quote:

>I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
>database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
>of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
>etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
>within.

>My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
>this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
>JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

>Any insight will be appreciated.

>Randy Gritton

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

RDO is NOT designed for use with Access MDB files. Some features don't work
and performance is slow.

Stick to using DAO/Jet with MDB files.

ADO is still in its infancy. The next release of Access/SQL Server 7 will
make ADO much more viable.

Regards,
Simon Jones
PC Pro Magazine

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

I would stay with DAO as it will not see any performance gains going to
RDO.

When you have a client that wants to migrate up or you feel daring, I would
move all the way up to ADO.

Just my humble opinion .....

What do I know ? .... :>

Craig

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

Quote:

> If you are thinking of migrating, think about ADO. It has a great object
> model and will work against either Access or SQL Server, so you would be
> ready should anything change.

> good luck!
> Deborah Kurata
> InStep Consulting Group
> InStep Technologies, Inc.

I have VB5 Prof. Version -- Can I use ADO !!????

TIA

-asim

Quote:
> www.insteptech.com

> >I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
> >database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
> >of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
> >etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
> >within.

> >My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
> >this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
> >JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

> >Any insight will be appreciated.

> >Randy Gritton

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

Yes you can!

Download the mdac.exe from MS universal dataaccess site
(www.microsoft.com/data) and off you go!!

Later...

Niels

Quote:

>> If you are thinking of migrating, think about ADO. It has a great object
>> model and will work against either Access or SQL Server, so you would be
>> ready should anything change.

>> good luck!
>> Deborah Kurata
>> InStep Consulting Group
>> InStep Technologies, Inc.
>I have VB5 Prof. Version -- Can I use ADO !!????

>TIA

>-asim

>> www.insteptech.com

>> >I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
>> >database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
>> >of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
>> >etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
>> >within.

>> >My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
>> >this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
>> >JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

>> >Any insight will be appreciated.

>> >Randy Gritton

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

says...

Quote:
> I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
> database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
> of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
> etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
> within.

> My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
> this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
> JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

> Any insight will be appreciated.

> Randy Gritton

ADO is definitely the way to go!
MS will be actively phasing out DAO and RDO once ADO has
Events. They are actively pushing ADO now and stated that
ADO and OLEDB are THE technologies they will be supporting.
Don't expect many more, if any updates to DAO/RDO . . .

I have been using ADO in Enterprise scale apps since it was released.
It has a couple of holes but they are closing fast.
All our work is strictly ADO now.
--
jarrodr (at) province (dot) com

Wed, 30 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

My two cents worth:

RDO is for server databases - don't bother if you only use Access. DAO is
the "old guard" for access to Jet databases. Both are relatively mature and
stable.

ADO is the "new kid on the block". If you're building new code, it's
probably worth a look. Personally, I tend to shy away from stuff this new
for large scale applications until the technology has been around for a
couple of revs in order to avoid getting hooked into the "D.O. of the Month
Club."

Case in Point:
In the VB3 days, if you wanted e-mail in your apps, you either coded the
MAPI APIs or used the MAPIMessage and MAPISession controls. Around the
release of VB4, we got "OLE Messaging", with "ActiveX Messaging" following
close on it's heels. Now we have "Collaboration Data Objects" or something.
That's a rate of about a major rev per year.

Now, any of these approaches will probably do an equally decent job of
sending a message or an attached file. For my money, I wish MS would just
settle down a bit and give me some type of messaging interface that has a
longer lifespan than my next development schedule. It's great that CDO can
now brew my morning coffee, but will it still exist at the end of the month?

The Technology of the Month Club Syndrome isn't isolated to messaging
either. How many revs per year have we had of Internet Explorer and Internet
Information Server? I'd like to see whatever's available now have something
more than a three or four month lifespan before I start writing code against
it.

Staying on the cutting edge is fine, so long as you can keep yourself off of
the bleeding edge.

     Joe

http://computingcentral.msn.com/forums/softwaredevelopment/
http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick/vbasic/

Quote:

>I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
>database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
>of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
>etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
>within.

>My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
>this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
>JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

>Any insight will be appreciated.

>Randy Gritton

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

Thanks for the input.  I concur that the apparent lifespan of
technologies
makes staying on the cutting edge nigh on impossible unless you do
nothing
but develop software and have access to all/most of these tools and
tech-
nologies early on.

I would like to have more time and money (and disk space) to deal with a
lot
of new stuff.  But since I do this more (or less?) as a sidelight I tend
deal with things that I can find decent documentation on.  Can anyone
point
me to a good book on ADO (besides the MS ADO web pages).  I would like
see something that deals with its use apart from just web applications
-- that
is all neat and stuff but not all of us develop on/for/with SQL Server,
network servers, web servers, etc.

Randy Gritton

Quote:

> My two cents worth:

> RDO is for server databases - don't bother if you only use Access. DAO is
> the "old guard" for access to Jet databases. Both are relatively mature and
> stable.

> ADO is the "new kid on the block". If you're building new code, it's
> probably worth a look. Personally, I tend to shy away from stuff this new
> for large scale applications until the technology has been around for a
> couple of revs in order to avoid getting hooked into the "D.O. of the Month
> Club."

> Case in Point:
> In the VB3 days, if you wanted e-mail in your apps, you either coded the
> MAPI APIs or used the MAPIMessage and MAPISession controls. Around the
> release of VB4, we got "OLE Messaging", with "ActiveX Messaging" following
> close on it's heels. Now we have "Collaboration Data Objects" or something.
> That's a rate of about a major rev per year.

> Now, any of these approaches will probably do an equally decent job of
> sending a message or an attached file. For my money, I wish MS would just
> settle down a bit and give me some type of messaging interface that has a
> longer lifespan than my next development schedule. It's great that CDO can
> now brew my morning coffee, but will it still exist at the end of the month?

> The Technology of the Month Club Syndrome isn't isolated to messaging
> either. How many revs per year have we had of Internet Explorer and Internet
> Information Server? I'd like to see whatever's available now have something
> more than a three or four month lifespan before I start writing code against
> it.

> Staying on the cutting edge is fine, so long as you can keep yourself off of
> the bleeding edge.

>      Joe

> http://computingcentral.msn.com/forums/softwaredevelopment/
> http://www.citilink.com/~jgarrick/vbasic/

> >I have been working with DAO/JET for some time now.  Most of my
> >database apps tend to be centered around Access as that is what most
> >of my users have available, i.e., they are not using SQL Server, Oracle,
> >etc.  They may have Oracle but not so that a new app can be hosted
> >within.

> >My question is should I even consider upscaling my apps to RDO given
> >this?  I have read where DAO is still the preferred environment for
> >JET dbs but for how long (ADO, ODBCDirect, etc.)?

> >Any insight will be appreciated.

> >Randy Gritton

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Should I migrate to RDO?

Quote:
>Staying on the cutting edge is fine, so long as you can keep yourself off
of
>the bleeding edge.

Amen.

Wed, 06 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Should I migrate to RDO?

2. Migrating from DAO to ADO/RDO

3. RDO Error 429 - Like to confirm if RDO available from VB Prof

4. RDO 1 -> RDO 2 Problem

5. RDO Error 429 - Like to confirm if RDO available from VB Prof

6. Migrating from Access to MSSQL

7. Migrating from Access to MSSQL

8. migrating a module from 97 to 2000

9. Acc97 to 2k migrate: OpenQueryDef no longer available?

10. Migrating from Access97 and a DAO 6.0 problem

11. Migrating an Access VBA application to .NET

12. performance problems migrating to access 97