sql server 2K freeze . press F5 its OK
Author Message
 sql server 2K freeze . press F5 its OK

I have client -server application using vb6 + sel svr2K on win2K.
Its an order taking system which multiple clients accessing the Sqlserver &
take orders from clients at same time.
The prob. is sometimes the all clients get frozen &   someone have to go to
the server room to press F5 (refresh) on the SQL server to make it OK.
What cud be the probs. here...? Is it becoz sql server cannot take the heavy
loads..?
Any can helps...?

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 10:10:08 GMT
 sql server 2K freeze . press F5 its OK
SQL Server is more than capable of handling anything you can throw at it.

Your problem sounds like a deadlock issue.  if you have people accessing
stored procs in the db
make sure that you access the tables in the same order all the time.  An
application that is using transactions
may have several people hitting the db at the same time.  if a
record/table/page is locked in one transaction and
another tries to access it, the accessing transaction has to wait until the
first transaction is finished.   The problem
is that if the first transaction tries to access a page that the second
transaction has locked... (now remember the second
is waiting for the first to free a lock)  neither transaction will be able
to complete and a deadlock occurs.

you can avoid this by programming all of your SP's to access tables in the
same order.  That way the first transaction will
free the page that the second transaction is trying to access before it
tries to access a page that the second transaction
has locked.   It would have already completed its work with whatever the
second is working with.  Was that clear as mud?

anyway, try that... I think it might fix tyour problem.

Kevin

Quote:

> I have client -server application using vb6 + sel svr2K on win2K.
> Its an order taking system which multiple clients accessing the Sqlserver
&
> take orders from clients at same time.
> The prob. is sometimes the all clients get frozen &   someone have to go
> the server room to press F5 (refresh) on the SQL server to make it OK.
> What cud be the probs. here...? Is it becoz sql server cannot take the
heavy
> loads..?
> Any can helps...?

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:41:38 GMT

1. Refresh desktop like pressing F5

2. Stored, Pass Through, Parameter Query on Access 2k and SQL Server 7

3. some guidance for a newbie designing a database app in SQL Server 2k and VB.Net

4. Crystal Report Designer with SQL Server 2k

5. Crystal 7 + SQL SERVER + ACCESS 2k + ADO

6. IIS Logs to SQL 2K server

7. VB6, OLEDB and SQL Server 7/2k

8. Converting to SQL Server from Access 2k

9. Common Dialog - Cancel / Ok button pressed?

10. VI : OK button on press Return KEY

11. Common Dialog - Cancel / Ok button pressed?

12. simulate pressing OK button of MsgBox?