Converting from Access tables to dBase III files
Author Message
 Converting from Access tables to dBase III files

I am using VB4.0 Enterprise.  My app needs to convert data files from
an Access database containing over 150 tables to the dbf files it
creates (one table = one dbf).  I can create the dbfs and capture the
table names, but how do I get the data from the tables to append to
the newly created dbf files.  This has to be a hands-off
behind-the-sceens operation for the user.   I am a newbie to VB so a
code sample would really help.  Thanks in advance.

Mac

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT
 Converting from Access tables to dBase III files

Charles,

Quote:
>I am using VB4.0 Enterprise.  My app needs to convert data files from
>an Access database containing over 150 tables to the dbf files it
>creates (one table = one dbf).  I can create the dbfs and capture the
>table names, but how do I get the data from the tables to append to
>the newly created dbf files.

Use an "append query" or a 'make table' query.  Get a copy of Access
to see how this works.

For example this query simultaneously CREATES and POPULATES a dbase
table from an Access table called Categories:

SELECT Categories.* INTO dbcat IN 'c:\temp' 'dBase III;'
FROM Categories;

From VB you could do:

  db.execute "SELECT Categories.* INTO dbcat IN 'c:\temp' 'dBase III;'
FROM Categories;"

where "db" is a database object pointing to the Access database
containing the Categories table.

-- Jim Ferguson, FMS
   http://www.fmsinc.com

Wed, 11 Aug 1999 03:00:00 GMT

1. Converting from Access tables to dBase III files

2. saving Access Tables to dbase III file format

3. Converting dBase III tables -> SQL databases

4. dbase III convert to Access or VB

5. Attaching a dBase III table to Access 2000 via ADO

6. Linking a dBase III table to an Access 2000 database - won't open

7. Updating Access from a Dbase III file

8. VB# won't access dbase III file

9. Import dBase III files to Access 2000 with ADO

10. connecting to dBase III dbf table with VB 6

11. creating dbase III tables in vb5.0

12. Memo field dbase III tables maximum 5000 bytes (problem VB4)