Middle tier
Author Message
 Middle tier

I've been advised to write my apps using n-tier methods, due to the use of
ADO & SQL Server....

However, I am unsure how to write the middle tier.... Do I use classes?? By
creating a class, and enforcing the business rules in it, am I creating the
middle tier??

How does the class compile?? is it direct into source?? or as an ActiveX
control, or as a DLL??

Will I be able to use the same classes if i decide to write a new 1st layer,
ie, as a web based app??

Any help appreciated

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Middle tier

Quote:
>I've been advised to write my apps using n-tier methods, due to the use of
>ADO & SQL Server....

That's no reason. The reason for making an n-tier app can be reusing of
components, easier maintenace or scaling issues.

Quote:
>However, I am unsure how to write the middle tier.... Do I use classes?? By
>creating a class, and enforcing the business rules in it, am I creating the
>middle tier??

Yes. If you create a 3-tier app the upper is the user interface, the middle
is business and the lower is the data access layer. Have each tier only
communicate with the tier below, so e.g. never have the user interface
directly use the data layer.

Quote:
>How does the class compile?? is it direct into source?? or as an ActiveX
>control, or as a DLL??

Create the layers as ActiveX DLL's, also know as COM DLL's.

Quote:
>Will I be able to use the same classes if i decide to write a new 1st
layer,
>ie, as a web based app??

Yes, that's exactly the purpose of dividing your app into layers.

Reagrds,
---
Peter Zaal
(remove the ~ from my mail address, sorry)

Thu, 10 Oct 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. middle-tier component

2. Middle Tier DB Classes

3. Displaying middle-tier documents at client workstation

4. Java middle tier with VB presentation

5. Middle tier development - Client Server Systems - Balto. MD

6. Developing a Middle Tier Server

7. Open middle tier data set

8. How to create the Middle tier

9. Middle tier