ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance
Author Message
 ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance

Hello there,
               I have just purchased VB 6 pro. The ADO's features are quite
impressive. However when I connected a ADO Data Control to a Grid to pull up a
table from an mdb.(The table was about 250 meg in size-LARGE) it took 20
minutes for the program to display the records on the grid VS DAO Data control
which only takes 10 seconds to do the same thing. Does anyone know what is
going on here ?
Thanks for any suggestions

Mon, 05 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 ADO's Performance vs DAO's Performance
Yes, similar problems experienced here.

After reading the duawamish examples, I tried upgrading from DAO to ADO. I
noticed a huge increase in realtime, and after investigating, found that
using DAO, a call to .openrecordset took on average 7ms, while using ADO, a
call to the .open method took 280ms (thats 40 times slower!). These
measurements were taken opening the same table in an Access DB in Win98 on a
P200MMX machine.

I can only assume that when people say that ADO is quicker for the vast
majority of applications, they exclude applications where MS Access is used.

I am currently considering using both ADO and DAO in the same application -
using DAO for client-side caching (because of better real-time) and using
ADO for reading/writing to the DB (to make use of Transactions, and Shaped
cursors). Any opinions about whether this will work?

cheers,
Craig.

Quote:

>Hello there,
>               I have just purchased VB 6 pro. The ADO's features are quite
>impressive. However when I connected a ADO Data Control to a Grid to pull
up a
>table from an mdb.(The table was about 250 meg in size-LARGE) it took 20
>minutes for the program to display the records on the grid VS DAO Data
control
>which only takes 10 seconds to do the same thing. Does anyone know what is
>going on here ?
>Thanks for any suggestions

Thu, 08 Mar 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. ADO: Performance Testing vs. DAO

2. ADO vs DAO performance

3. Performance ADO Vs DAO

4. DAO vs ADO Performance

5. Data Control vs. DAO Performance

6. DAO 3.0 performance: Win95 vs. WinNT 4.0

7. Performance comparison: ADO, DAO, ODBC

8. Performance comparison: ADO, DAO, ODBC

9. ADO / RDO / DAO - Performance related issues

10. DAO, RDO, ADO performance (or lack of it) on Access97

11. DAO vs ADO - Newbie doesn't understand...

12. ADO 2.1 performance is abysmal compared to DAO 3.51