VB5 & SQL Server 6.5
Author Message
 VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

Hi,

I have written an application in VB5 to load a text file (one line = one
row) into a SQL Server database.  I am new to SQL Server but I have been
spending a lot of time RTFM-ing.

I am using dao and have specified SQL Passthrough.  I have tweaked it
and tweaked it in an attempt to increase the performance and efficiency
and can't seem to get it any faster.  At the moment I am getting about 8
rows/sec on average and need the performance to be about 10 times as
fast.  Is there anything that I can do to get it faster or am I stuck
with this level of performance?  BTW, the server is a Compaq Pentium Pro
200 with 128 MB of RAM and is only supporting one user at the moment (ie
it not a production server yet).  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

Hey,

        I've used SQL Server 6.5 for about a year now and have run into serious
performance
problems myself. Everyone boasts about how fast it is and you can use it
enterprise-wide, etc...
Well, you practically have to be MS certified to tweak it just right to get
things to work. The
amount of configuration required is staggering. After that year with lots
of RTFM-ing myself,
I've learned a ton, but every once in a while I run into a problem and have
no clue on where
to begin on solving it. I like to consider myself somewhat intelligent but
using trying to use SQL server
without some formal training is frightening. I'm writing a commercial
software package where
early on we had to decide whether to use access or SQL server as a back
end. Since you
practically have to be a database administrator to run SQL server, there
was no way that
we'd be able to sell this to customers with less computer experience than
anyone in our
company. So, we went with access which kind of makes me nervous because
we're dealing
with upwards of 200,000 records in some tables - which SQL server is
supposedly able to
manage better - but who is going to administer 200 sql servers at 200
remote client sites?
        Here's a story: I installed SQL server on my Pentium 200 64MB. I loaded
60,000
records into a table on it as well as the same 60,000 records into access.
Then I loaded two grids
from each datasource. The access one was a HELL of a lot faster. Granted, I
didn't do
any configuration of the server  (this was a test), but what's wrong with
this picture? I know I hate
it when people recommend to me an option isn't feasable for whatever
reason, but can you use Access
instead of SQL server? I'm not promoting using Access for large scale db
apps, but if you can get
it to work, why not?
        This probably didn't help much, but I though you might find this
intetesting.

I hope you find your solution,

Chris Desany

Quote:
> Hi,

> I have written an application in VB5 to load a text file (one line = one
> row) into a SQL Server database.  I am new to SQL Server but I have been
> spending a lot of time RTFM-ing.

> I am using dao and have specified SQL Passthrough.  I have tweaked it
> and tweaked it in an attempt to increase the performance and efficiency
> and can't seem to get it any faster.  At the moment I am getting about 8
> rows/sec on average and need the performance to be about 10 times as
> fast.  Is there anything that I can do to get it faster or am I stuck
> with this level of performance?  BTW, the server is a Compaq Pentium Pro
> 200 with 128 MB of RAM and is only supporting one user at the moment (ie
> it not a production server yet).  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Mon, 10 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

Hi Chris,

Hi Chris,

Thank you for your insight.  Unfortunately I don't think that Access
will work for my application.  In the one table, we will have as many as
1,000,000 - 2,000,000 records at any given time.  I am sure that Access
will {*filter*}on it.  If you think of anything that I can maybe tweak, I
would appreciate any suggestions.

My company is looking for a "real" database at the moment (we have been
on a propietary mainframe-based system) and I have to find a way to get
this to work in SQL Server as it is the only Dbase engine that we can
use for this application.

Thanks once again.

Fernando Vicente

Quote:

> [...]

> I hope you find your solution,

> Chris Desany

> > Hi,

> > I have written an application in VB5 to load a text file (one line = one
> > row) into a SQL Server database.  I am new to SQL Server but I have been
> > spending a lot of time RTFM-ing.

> > I am using dao and have specified SQL Passthrough.  I have tweaked it
> > and tweaked it in an attempt to increase the performance and efficiency
> > and can't seem to get it any faster.  At the moment I am getting about 8
> > rows/sec on average and need the performance to be about 10 times as
> > fast.  Is there anything that I can do to get it faster or am I stuck
> > with this level of performance?  BTW, the server is a Compaq Pentium Pro
> > 200 with 128 MB of RAM and is only supporting one user at the moment (ie
> > it not a production server yet).  Any help is greatly appreciated.

When you install SQL Server take attention to the protocol between the
server and your application.
If you specifie the 'named pipes' mecanism you must have very slow access.
Using an IP protocol can give you better access.

Quote:

>Hi,

>I have written an application in VB5 to load a text file (one line = one
>row) into a SQL Server database.  I am new to SQL Server but I have been
>spending a lot of time RTFM-ing.

>I am using dao and have specified SQL Passthrough.  I have tweaked it
>and tweaked it in an attempt to increase the performance and efficiency
>and can't seem to get it any faster.  At the moment I am getting about 8
>rows/sec on average and need the performance to be about 10 times as
>fast.  Is there anything that I can do to get it faster or am I stuck
>with this level of performance?  BTW, the server is a Compaq Pentium Pro
>200 with 128 MB of RAM and is only supporting one user at the moment (ie
>it not a production server yet).  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sat, 15 Apr 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. VB5 & SQL Server 6.5

2. VB 6.0 & SQl server 6.5

3. VB & SQL Server 6.5 Contract

4. Visual Basic & SQL server 6.5

5. VB 6.0 & SQL Server 6.5

6. SQL Server 6.5 & VB6 ADO

7. VB6: Data Environment & SQL Server 6.5

8. NEWBIE:VB & SQL Server 6.5 Bound Controls

9. VB 4.0 & SQL Server 6.5 (Identity Column)

10. VB 5.0 & Stored Procedure (SQL Server 6.5)

11. VB3, Intersolv MultiLink VB & SQL Server 6.5

12. Locking in VB5 and SQL Server 6.5 using stored procs