Help! Importing Excel using DAO
Author Message
 Help! Importing Excel using DAO

I am importing excel into Access database using the connect properties and
tabledef object of the DAO. The registry shows the ImportDataType as TEXT
and the XL cells are formatted as Text.  The import fails in areas where
there is NUMERIC AND TEXT Information in a Column.
Instead of treating it as text it defaults to Majority Type and does not
import the data properly.

THIS PROBLEM ALSO OCCURS IN TEXT FILE IMPORTS UNLESS TEXT FIELDS ARE IN
QUOTES or unless fields are defined in schema.ini (in which case the
flexibility is lost!)

Can anyone help??? Is there any other way this problem can be resolved ?

Thanx in advance.....

Tue, 24 Oct 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! Importing Excel using DAO

I have a same problem with reading Excel file.

My registry setting is:

ImportMixedTypes : Text
TypeGuessRows : 8

OpenRecordset Excel returns NULL for text but it imports numeric values.
Excel speadsheet has Text and Numeric information on different rows.

I saw someone post same problem about a year and half ago but I saw no reply
to it.
I can't just believe this is unsolvable problem and Microsoft (however lazy
they are) has not fixed this problem for more than a year.

> I am importing excel into Access database using the connect properties and
> tabledef object of the DAO. The registry shows the ImportDataType as TEXT
> and the XL cells are formatted as Text.  The import fails in areas where
> there is NUMERIC AND TEXT Information in a Column.
> Instead of treating it as text it defaults to Majority Type and does not
> import the data properly.

> THIS PROBLEM ALSO OCCURS IN TEXT FILE IMPORTS UNLESS TEXT FIELDS ARE IN
> QUOTES or unless fields are defined in schema.ini (in which case the
> flexibility is lost!)

> Can anyone help??? Is there any other way this problem can be resolved ?

> Thanx in advance.....

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Help! Importing Excel using DAO

By the way, I have tried Microsoft Access "Get External Data/Link" and MS
Access also exhibits the same problem.

If the Excel spreadsheet contains both Text and Numeric information, it links
NULL for text and numeric values.

One interesting to note is: when one uses "Get External Data/Import" instead
of "Link", MS Access DOES get the Text and Numeric values correctly.

What gives ?!!!
I hope this is not one of those "We are Microsoft and We don't care" problems.

Sun, 05 Nov 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Problems using VBA to link or DAO to import Excel file into Access97

2. Importing from Excel to Excel using VB.

3. Help with importing excel into access using VBscript

4. Help!: Import Access Table into Excel Using VB3

5. Import Excel worksheets via VB and DAO?

6. Can Someone please tell me why the Import of Excel Data with DAO Fails

7. Help: Using DAO and ISAM to get to Excel Files

8. Import spreadsheet using DAO

9. Importing Microsoft Access 97 Reports using DAO

10. importing Excel Spreadsheets using code?

11. Importing text file into Excel using VBA - from a word macro

12. Import excel spreadsheet to claendar using a macro