Basic question, Table-Type vs. Dynaset Recordsets
Author Message
 Basic question, Table-Type vs. Dynaset Recordsets

I have an Access DB with a table in it.  When I am accessing the db from within
VB, how do I open it?  Do I used Table-Type or Dynaset?  What's the
differences/advantages/disadvantages to these?  I have experimented using both,
and I see that both will open the db and allow delete, updates, and add..  I
have been programming in VB for a while, but i'm just starting to get into the
db aspect of it.  TIA.

Thu, 17 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic question, Table-Type vs. Dynaset Recordsets
Dear Sir or Madam:

With Table-type you can:
1) Open only one table. SQL statements dealing with more than one table are
not allowed;
2) You can set the "Index" to an index the table owns and then use the Seek
method which is faster than the FindFirst, which is a sequencial search
metod;

The Recordset type is quite similar to the Table-type except for the fact
that it allows all SQL features (such as FROM, INNER JOIN, LEFT JOIN, RIGHT
JOIN, WHERE, GROUP BY, ORDER BY clauses) and functions (such as Sum, Avg,
Min, Max, etc...) and do not allow the use of indexes.

Faithfully yours,

Luciano Evaristo Guerche

S?o Paulo, Brazil

TjpConsult escreveu na mensagem

Quote:
>I have an Access DB with a table in it.  When I am accessing the db from
within
>VB, how do I open it?  Do I used Table-Type or Dynaset?  What's the
>differences/advantages/disadvantages to these?  I have experimented using
both,
>and I see that both will open the db and allow delete, updates, and add..
>have been programming in VB for a while, but i'm just starting to get into
the
>db aspect of it.  TIA.

Thu, 17 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 Basic question, Table-Type vs. Dynaset Recordsets
Can I add one more thing?
Table types shouldn't be used in a multi-user environment.
It places some extra locks on the table, and may lock out a user trying to
update it.

I've said my peace, shutting up now.. ;)

Quote:

>Dear Sir or Madam:

>With Table-type you can:
>1) Open only one table. SQL statements dealing with more than one table are
>not allowed;
>2) You can set the "Index" to an index the table owns and then use the Seek
>method which is faster than the FindFirst, which is a sequencial search
>metod;

>The Recordset type is quite similar to the Table-type except for the fact
>that it allows all SQL features (such as FROM, INNER JOIN, LEFT JOIN, RIGHT
>JOIN, WHERE, GROUP BY, ORDER BY clauses) and functions (such as Sum, Avg,
>Min, Max, etc...) and do not allow the use of indexes.

>Faithfully yours,

>Luciano Evaristo Guerche

>S?o Paulo, Brazil

>TjpConsult escreveu na mensagem

>>I have an Access DB with a table in it.  When I am accessing the db from
>within
>>VB, how do I open it?  Do I used Table-Type or Dynaset?  What's the
>>differences/advantages/disadvantages to these?  I have experimented using
>both,
>>and I see that both will open the db and allow delete, updates, and add..
>>have been programming in VB for a while, but i'm just starting to get into
>the
>>db aspect of it.  TIA.

Fri, 25 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. Indexing a Dynaset type Recordset, or Requerying a Table type Recordset

2. dynaset-type recordset and table-type recordset

3. multiple table dynaset vs multiple table recordsets

4. Dynaset vs. Table recordsets

5. VB3 vs. VB4 - Dynaset / Recordset methods

6. Dynaset vs Table

7. Access; Dynaset vs Table

8. TABLE vs DYNASET Searching with one .mdb database

9. Index question: Access table-type recordset object

10. Question about dynaset and/or table

11. Table/Dynaset Object Question!!

12. Table/Dynaset Object Question!