Unicode data in MDB database
Author Message
 Unicode data in MDB database

Hi,
I have problem with UNICODE cahacter data in an access 2000 MDB file.

I can query tables conatin UNICODE data , but the recordset just returns
strings like "???????????????". it replaces all characters with question
mark.
How can i read unicode data into ADO recordset  ?
Generally is there any way to have Unicode strings in VB variables ?

Any help would be appreciated,
Ali

Fri, 31 Dec 2004 23:55:48 GMT
 Unicode data in MDB database
Hi,

You could try to work with Unicode strings using GetChunk and AppendChunk
methods of fields. See next KB about that

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q194975

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
> Hi,
> I have problem with UNICODE cahacter data in an access 2000 MDB file.

> I can query tables conatin UNICODE data , but the recordset just returns
> strings like "???????????????". it replaces all characters with question
> mark.
> How can i read unicode data into ADO recordset  ?
> Generally is there any way to have Unicode strings in VB variables ?

> Any help would be appreciated,
> Ali

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:11:02 GMT
 Unicode data in MDB database

Do i have easier way to do that ?

Quote:
> Hi,

> You could try to work with Unicode strings using GetChunk and AppendChunk
> methods of fields. See next KB about that

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q194975

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > Hi,
> > I have problem with UNICODE cahacter data in an access 2000 MDB file.

> > I can query tables conatin UNICODE data , but the recordset just returns
> > strings like "???????????????". it replaces all characters with question
> > mark.
> > How can i read unicode data into ADO recordset  ?
> > Generally is there any way to have Unicode strings in VB variables ?

> > Any help would be appreciated,
> > Ali

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:52:30 GMT
 Unicode data in MDB database
I do not think so. Maybe someone has better idea

--
Val Mazur
Microsoft MVP

Quote:

> Do i have easier way to do that ?

> > Hi,

> > You could try to work with Unicode strings using GetChunk and
AppendChunk
> > methods of fields. See next KB about that

> > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q194975

> > --
> > Val Mazur
> > Microsoft MVP

> > > Hi,
> > > I have problem with UNICODE cahacter data in an access 2000 MDB file.

> > > I can query tables conatin UNICODE data , but the recordset just
returns
> > > strings like "???????????????". it replaces all characters with
question
> > > mark.
> > > How can i read unicode data into ADO recordset  ?
> > > Generally is there any way to have Unicode strings in VB variables ?

> > > Any help would be appreciated,
> > > Ali

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 01:59:21 GMT
 Unicode data in MDB database
Val,

long data types and getchunk and append chunk have absolutely nothing to do
with unicode --  please read up on what unicode is and try again..

best regards
roy fine

Quote:
> Hi,

> You could try to work with Unicode strings using GetChunk and AppendChunk
> methods of fields. See next KB about that

> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q194975

> --
> Val Mazur
> Microsoft MVP

> > Hi,
> > I have problem with UNICODE cahacter data in an access 2000 MDB file.

> > I can query tables conatin UNICODE data , but the recordset just returns
> > strings like "???????????????". it replaces all characters with question
> > mark.
> > How can i read unicode data into ADO recordset  ?
> > Generally is there any way to have Unicode strings in VB variables ?

> > Any help would be appreciated,
> > Ali

Sat, 01 Jan 2005 04:06:29 GMT
 Unicode data in MDB database
Hi Ali,

JET4 (Access2000/2002) database support Unicode and VB String is Unicode.
The key here is whether your OS supports Unicode. If you use NT/2000/XP,
there will be native Unicode support. In addition to see these unicode
string, the OS should also install the necessary language options. For
example, if the character is Chinese character, your OS should install the
Chinese code page to display the character correctly. Then your VB and
Access2000 can also show them correctly, since they support Unicode.

Regards,
Steve

"Got .Net?  http://www.gotdotnet.com"

Sun, 02 Jan 2005 10:09:25 GMT

1. Unicode data in MDB database

2. Putting data to MDB database

3. Copy data from MDB on LAN to MDB on web server

4. Export data from mdb to a new mdb with ADO

5. Sorting mdb data and VB5 data forms

6. VB6 Data Enviroment, Link 2 MDB data.

7. Exporting Text Database into Existing Database (.MDB)

8. VB6 Data Enviroment, Link 2 MDB data.

9. Convert 32-BIT MDB Database to 16-bit database

10. How ca I make an report without data in it, and get data from a *.mdb

11. *.dbf vs *.mdb (dbase5/clipper database vs access database)

12. Exporting Text Database into Existing Database (.MDB)