Oracle: Need commit?
Author Message
 Oracle: Need commit?

Hi there,

We have a VB6 application that inserts and updates rows in
an Access database.  We are converting to an Oracle
database and need to do so quickly with as few changes to
code as necessary.  Our code does not currently begin and
end transactions, and it does not issue commits.  We open
a recordset, change column values, update the row, and
close the recordset.  This works fine with Access.  With
Oracle, do we absolutely need to open a recordset, begin a
transaction, update row, commit the transaction, end the
transaction, and close the recordset?  Or can we leave our
code as is, and will it automatically be committed since
we are not using transactional code?

Thanks for you help,
Lori

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 01:42:12 GMT
 Oracle: Need commit?
I think that by default, in ADO and MSDAORA or ORAOLEDB providers there is
no need to begin or commit transactions.

Quote:
> Hi there,

> We have a VB6 application that inserts and updates rows in
> an Access database.  We are converting to an Oracle
> database and need to do so quickly with as few changes to
> code as necessary.  Our code does not currently begin and
> end transactions, and it does not issue commits.  We open
> a recordset, change column values, update the row, and
> close the recordset.  This works fine with Access.  With
> Oracle, do we absolutely need to open a recordset, begin a
> transaction, update row, commit the transaction, end the
> transaction, and close the recordset?  Or can we leave our
> code as is, and will it automatically be committed since
> we are not using transactional code?

> Thanks for you help,
> Lori

Sun, 06 Nov 2005 17:20:33 GMT

1. Oracle commits vs Sybase/SQL-Server commits

2. Using commit/rollback with Oracle and RDO

3. oracle connected via odbc commits implicitly

4. RDO and Committing to Oracle

5. ADO hanging waiting for Oracle commit

6. I need your opinion PLEASE HELP ME OR I MIGHT COMMIT SUICIDE

7. Need help passing an array to an Oracle procedure using Oracle Objects for OLE

8. Connecting to Oracle thru Oracle OLE DB Provider(OraOLDDB.Oracle)

9. Need Help on supplying a password to Oracle from ACCESS 97 batch Job

10. need help with VBA, ODBC and oracle

11. i need to insert data in a oracle database fast, can u tell me how

12. Need help for connect VB with Oracle