OLEDBSimpleProvider
Author Message
 OLEDBSimpleProvider

What is the status of VB generated OLEDB Simple Providers?

With my installed copy of VS6SP1 I do not get the option "2 - OLEDB Simple
Provider", just 0-None and 1-DataSource.  I can use the OLEDB SDK approach
as in VB5 to create them.  But if I debug the Dll the calling program always
crashes.

Why do many grids refuse to accept ADO Recordsets based upon OLEDB Simple
Providers, throwing out the message "Invalide(sic) Recordset"?

Why do some of the samples in MSDN VS6 have the simple provider datasource
GetDataMemeber() return an ADOR rather than an OLEDBSimpleProvider
interface?

Has anyone out there thought of providing a more thorough implementation of
OLEDB for VB using Implements...?

Thu, 17 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 OLEDBSimpleProvider
I found the following information in article Q170163 dated November 4, 1998.

Incorrect References for Creating OLE DB Providers
The documentation erroneously states that it is possible to set a class
module's DataSourceBehavior property to 2 - vbOLEDBProvider to create an OLE
DB data provider. The correct values for DataSourceBehavior are 0 - vbNone
and 1 - vbDataSource.

The documentation also erroneously refers to a non-existent event in class
modules called OnDataConnection.

Finally, in the topic "Creating the MyDataSource Class," the step-by-step
example incorrectly states that you should set DataSourceBehavior to 2 -
vbOLEDBProvider. Instead, you should set DataSourceBehavior to 1 -
vbDataSource.

To create OLE DB data providers using Visual Basic, use the Provider Writer
Toolkit included with the OLE DB SDK. For more information, see the OLE DB
Simple Provider Toolkit in the Platform SDK Documentation on MSDN.

Quote:

>What is the status of VB generated OLEDB Simple Providers?

>With my installed copy of VS6SP1 I do not get the option "2 - OLEDB Simple
>Provider", just 0-None and 1-DataSource.  I can use the OLEDB SDK approach
>as in VB5 to create them.  But if I debug the Dll the calling program
always
>crashes.

>Why do many grids refuse to accept ADO Recordsets based upon OLEDB Simple
>Providers, throwing out the message "Invalide(sic) Recordset"?

>Why do some of the samples in MSDN VS6 have the simple provider datasource
>GetDataMemeber() return an ADOR rather than an OLEDBSimpleProvider
>interface?

>Has anyone out there thought of providing a more thorough implementation of
>OLEDB for VB using Implements...?

Mon, 21 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. DataEnvironment and OLEDBSimpleProvider

2. OLEDBSimpleProvider question

3. OleDBSimpleProvider

4. oledbsimpleprovider

5. OLEDBSimpleProvider questions