Trouble with ADO in VB5 with Oracle 7.33 and Oracle 73 driver
Author Message
 Trouble with ADO in VB5 with Oracle 7.33 and Oracle 73 driver

I am having difficulty after connecting from VB5 to Oracle 7.33 with
ADO, using the Oracle 73 driver.  It seems that all of the methods are
not available (RowCount, for instance).  Possibly I am getting the wrong
recordset type.

I am able to get a dynamic recordset (adOpenDynamic), or at least I send
that parameter and get an error-free connection.  And I thought that, a
couple days ago, I could MoveNext, MovePrevious, MoveLast, and
MoveFirst.  Now, all of a sudden, I am only allowed to MoveFirst and
MoveNext.  On a MoveLast, I get error number -2147217884 "The rowset
does not support fetching backwards."  Possibly this is a driver
problem, but I suspect that either I'm doing something wrong in the
code, or it's SOMETHING ELSE (whatever that would be).

The problem-causing code:

  Dim pcnMyDB As ADODB.Connection
  Dim prsPPS As ADODB.Recordset
  Dim pvarResultArray As Variant
  Dim pstrSQLStmt As String
  Dim plngNumRows As Long

  Set pcnMyDB = New ADODB.Connection
  Set prsPPS = New ADODB.Recordset
  pstrSQLStmt = MakeMySQLStatement

' Open a dynamic record set
  prsPPS.Open pstrSQLStmt, pcnMyDB adOpenDynamic, , adCmdText
  pvarResultArray = prsPPS.GetRows()  'Fill variant array with record
set data
' Get the record count (number of rows) because Recordcount method does
not work
  plngNumRows = UBound(pvarResultArray, 1) - LBound(pvarResultArray, 1)
+ 1
  prsPPS.MoveLast
' *Boom!*

Thank you, in advance, for any assistance.

Chris Carden

Fri, 08 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Trouble with ADO in VB5 with Oracle 7.33 and Oracle 73 driver

Fri, 19 Jun 1992 00:00:00 GMT
 Trouble with ADO in VB5 with Oracle 7.33 and Oracle 73 driver

Ah, to be a bit more clear (on second reading), it is that SOME of the
methods are not working (RowCount, MoveLast).  I can get around the
RowCount problem, but I really need to work with a Dynamic recordset.
Is it something to do with ADO not being able to return Dynamic
recordsets from Oracle?  That would bite.

TIA.

Chris.

Quote:

> I am having difficulty after connecting from VB5 to Oracle 7.33 with
> ADO, using the Oracle 73 driver.  It seems that all of the methods are
> not available (RowCount, for instance).  Possibly I am getting the wrong
> recordset type.

> I am able to get a dynamic recordset (adOpenDynamic), or at least I send
> that parameter and get an error-free connection.  And I thought that, a
> couple days ago, I could MoveNext, MovePrevious, MoveLast, and
> MoveFirst.  Now, all of a sudden, I am only allowed to MoveFirst and
> MoveNext.  On a MoveLast, I get error number -2147217884 "The rowset
> does not support fetching backwards."  Possibly this is a driver
> problem, but I suspect that either I'm doing something wrong in the
> code, or it's SOMETHING ELSE (whatever that would be).

> The problem-causing code:

>   Dim pcnMyDB As ADODB.Connection
>   Dim prsPPS As ADODB.Recordset
>   Dim pvarResultArray As Variant
>   Dim pstrSQLStmt As String
>   Dim plngNumRows As Long

>   Set pcnMyDB = New ADODB.Connection
>   Set prsPPS = New ADODB.Recordset
>   pstrSQLStmt = MakeMySQLStatement

> ' Open a dynamic record set
>   prsPPS.Open pstrSQLStmt, pcnMyDB adOpenDynamic, , adCmdText
>   pvarResultArray = prsPPS.GetRows()  'Fill variant array with record
> set data
> ' Get the record count (number of rows) because Recordcount method does
> not work
>   plngNumRows = UBound(pvarResultArray, 1) - LBound(pvarResultArray, 1)
> + 1
>   prsPPS.MoveLast
> ' *Boom!*

> Thank you, in advance, for any assistance.

> Chris Carden

Sat, 09 Dec 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Trouble with ADO in VB5 to Oracle 7.33, using the Oracle 73 driver

2. MaxRows - Oracle 2.73.726900 (MDAC) Driver Help

3. VB5, Oracle 73 and CR 4.6

4. VB3.0 Pro and Oracle 7.33

5. VB4 connecting to Oracle 73

6. Visual Basic connecting to Oracle 73

7. Upgrading Oracle 73 to 8

8. Microsoft ODBC for Oracle v 2.73.728303 issue with WINNT

9. VB5 / Oracle 803, Microsoft driver for Oracle 2.73

10. Oracle ODBC driver / Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle

11. HELP on connection to Oracle with Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver

12. Oracle Driver with VB5.