Direct connection to Oracle without ODBC?
Author Message
 Direct connection to Oracle without ODBC?

Hi Gang,

I'm looking for an ActiveX or other technology to connect
to an Oracle database without using ODBC. A simple and
stable implementation is obviously desirable, but it
could potentially be used at a large client, so it needs
to scale well to heavy database activity.

All suggestions welcome. Post links to web sites and/or
documentation if you have them. Thanks much!

 - Dave

Wed, 06 Aug 2003 14:00:44 GMT
 Direct connection to Oracle without ODBC?
ADO/OLE DB provider for Oracle:
    Provider=MSDAORA

Or you can use Oracle's own object interface - Oracle Objects for OLE
(OO4O).

The early version(s) of MSDAORA did not have a good reputation.  I have used
the version that comes with MDAC 2.1 SP2 and 2.5 SP1 against Oracle 8, and
haven't had any problems.  I did find one incompatibility between MSDAORA
and MSDASQL against ODBC, I believe it was related to .Requery or .Resynch,
but I have forgotten the details.

I have found ADO to be quite simple to work with.  I don't know if there are
any scalability issues with the Oracle OLE DB provider.  The SQL Server OLE
DB provider scales quite nicely.

For ADO scalability and performance, use SQL statements for updates instead
of modifying the recordset, especially when updating multiple records.

HTH,
Tore.

Quote:
> Hi Gang,

> I'm looking for an ActiveX or other technology to connect
> to an Oracle database without using ODBC. A simple and
> stable implementation is obviously desirable, but it
> could potentially be used at a large client, so it needs
> to scale well to heavy database activity.

> All suggestions welcome. Post links to web sites and/or
> documentation if you have them. Thanks much!

>  - Dave

Sat, 09 Aug 2003 04:51:33 GMT

1. Oracle connection without Oracle client

2. HELP on connection to Oracle with Microsoft ODBC for Oracle Driver

3. Direct ODBC API access for your Apps without RDO

4. Cant add records to Oracle table using ODBC Direct

5. ODBC Direct and Oracle 7

6. ODBC Direct and Oracle

7. ODBC Direct and Oracle

8. ODBC Direct Connection still usuable.

9. Oracle ODBC driver / Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle

10. VB-Oracle without ODBC??

11. From Vb to Oracle without odbc ???

12. Accessing Oracle from VB5 without 32-bit ODBC or OO4O (LONG)