Any ADO GURUS around???
Author Message
 Any ADO GURUS around???

HI,
   I am using ADO recordset with Cursor_location property = Client side;
Cursor_type property = static.

When I open a recordset which could contain as much as 500,000 records,
I get the following error: "System is running low on Virtual Memory".
My system has 512 MB physical RAM with about 1GB virtual swap space.

The only option seems to be force the ado/ole DB data provider(oracle)
not to retrieve all records from database into memory at once, but do so
on demand (caching).

Anyone know how to do this??

Thanks in Advance.
Karthik

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any ADO GURUS around???
I think it's something like

rsRecordSet.cachesize = 100
 or however many records you want returned...

Quote:

> HI,
>    I am using ADO recordset with Cursor_location property = Client side;
> Cursor_type property = static.

> When I open a recordset which could contain as much as 500,000 records,
> I get the following error: "System is running low on Virtual Memory".
> My system has 512 MB physical RAM with about 1GB virtual swap space.

> The only option seems to be force the ado/ole DB data provider(oracle)
> not to retrieve all records from database into memory at once, but do so
> on demand (caching).

> Anyone know how to do this??

> Thanks in Advance.
> Karthik

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sat, 02 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Any ADO GURUS around???
Hi ,

 It doesn't work. I think the cachesize property is associated with the
ado recordset. I tried setting it to 1 (the DEFAULT value anyway), 10,
100, etc and still the system runs out of virtual memory. I figured out
that the Oracle OLE DB provider is retrieving the records from the
database and exposes that data to ado. It is that data that the ado
tries to cache.

SO now anyone know how to control the behaviour of Oracle OLE DB data
provider so that I can control the number of rowsets it retrieves???

Regards,
Karthik

Quote:
> I think it's something like

> rsRecordSet.cachesize = 100
>  or however many records you want returned...

Quote:
> > HI,
> >    I am using ADO recordset with Cursor_location property = Client
side;
> > Cursor_type property = static.

> > When I open a recordset which could contain as much as 500,000
records,
> > I get the following error: "System is running low on Virtual
Memory".
> > My system has 512 MB physical RAM with about 1GB virtual swap space.

> > The only option seems to be force the ado/ole DB data
provider(oracle)
> > not to retrieve all records from database into memory at once, but
do so
> > on demand (caching).

> > Anyone know how to do this??

> > Thanks in Advance.
> > Karthik

> > Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> > Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 03 Nov 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Any ADO gurus around???

2. Keeping ADO objects around.

3. Good VB database books on ADO - not many around :((((

4. Keeping ADO objects around.

5. An ADO.Net DataAdapter Update Philosophy Question for the MS gurus

6. Curious ADO error - for the GURUs out there

7. ADO or DAO gurus ?

8. Need Help From An ADO Guru

9. ADO Gurus !!!!!!

10. MS ADO Guru Needed

11. To all ADO gurus -- ADODB vs ADOR

12. ADO Guru: How do I get connection handle?