VB5 or VB6. Which is best for now?
Author Message
 VB5 or VB6. Which is best for now?

Hello guys,
  I am a programmer (VB5 and Office97) for a company that develops imaging
and database software for financial institutions. Lately, I have been
considering the purchase of Visual Studio for my personal use at home and
also for some contract development on the side. Right now, I do not have a
personal copy of Visual Basic. I am interested in the entire studio suite so
I can experiment with VC++, Visual Java, and my old friend FoxPro.
   Is Visual Basic 6.0 (or more specifically VS 6.0) a stable product at
this time? I would appreciate anyone who has developed with this version to
relate any experiences (positive and negative), especially in comparison to
VB 5. Visual Studio 97 is still on the shelf and more popular at this time.
Should I stick with the more proven product for now and just upgrade to VS
6.0 a year down the road?
    Also, I heard from a co-worker that VB 6.0 no longer supports ActiveX or
OLE controls. He said that it only uses the newer DCOM components, and if I
want to develope an application using VB 6, I would have to upgrade all of
my third party tools to the DCOM version when they become available. Is this
true, or is he seriously misinformed? It sounds uncredible.
Please respond to me using this newsgroup.

Christina

Wed, 16 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5 or VB6. Which is best for now?

Quote:

>Hello guys,
>   Is Visual Basic 6.0 (or more specifically VS 6.0) a stable product at
>this time? I would appreciate anyone who has developed with this version to
>relate any experiences (positive and negative), especially in comparison to
>VB 5. Visual Studio 97 is still on the shelf and more popular at this time.
>Should I stick with the more proven product for now and just upgrade to VS
>6.0 a year down the road?

It is absolutely safe and stable. We have released a major application and a
live web site using VB6 technologies with very litttle problem. It is much
less of a change from 5 to 6 than from 4 to 5.

Quote:
>    Also, I heard from a co-worker that VB 6.0 no longer supports ActiveX
or
>OLE controls. He said that it only uses the newer DCOM components, and if I
>want to develope an application using VB 6, I would have to upgrade all of
>my third party tools to the DCOM version when they become available. Is
this
>true, or is he seriously misinformed? It sounds uncredible.
>Please respond to me using this newsgroup.

He is seriously misinformed. All third party tools that worked for us under
VB 5 continue to work under VB 6.

David

Thu, 17 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 VB5 or VB6. Which is best for now?

   Great. That's what I needed to hear. I've put in my order for VS 6.0, and
am going to give that guy a spanking for trying to play with my head.
   By the way, what is DCOM? Why did MS feel a need to come up with an
predecessor to ActiveX so soon? and to what extent (if any) does VB 6.0
support this new technology?

C.F.

Quote:

>>Hello guys,
>>   Is Visual Basic 6.0 (or more specifically VS 6.0) a stable product at
>>this time? I would appreciate anyone who has developed with this version
>>relate any experiences (positive and negative), especially in comparison
>>VB 5. Visual Studio 97 is still on the shelf and more popular at this
time.
>>Should I stick with the more proven product for now and just upgrade to VS
>>6.0 a year down the road?

>It is absolutely safe and stable. We have released a major application and
>live web site using VB6 technologies with very litttle problem. It is much
>less of a change from 5 to 6 than from 4 to 5.

>>    Also, I heard from a co-worker that VB 6.0 no longer supports ActiveX
>or
>>OLE controls. He said that it only uses the newer DCOM components, and if
>>want to develope an application using VB 6, I would have to upgrade all of
>>my third party tools to the DCOM version when they become available. Is
>this
>>true, or is he seriously misinformed? It sounds uncredible.
>>Please respond to me using this newsgroup.

>He is seriously misinformed. All third party tools that worked for us under
>VB 5 continue to work under VB 6.

>David

Sat, 19 May 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. A good book for VB5 or VB6 ?

2. Good exemples of Crystal Report and VB5 or VB6

3. I am looking for a good place to buy dev software online

4. I am a VB newbie, looking for good manual

5. Timer Question - I have explained better what I am looking for

6. I am looking for the best book for learning VB.

7. Am I better off without MTS (more...)?

8. In VB6 I am Printing Loads of data under Win 2000

9. Am I missing something, or is VB6 wierd?

10. I am a vb6 developer

11. I am looking for Codewright and VB6 users

12. Am i strange or is VB5?