windows to unix - how can i suppress char10 and char13
Author Message
 windows to unix - how can i suppress char10 and char13

i write files with data from access database
but i will suppress writing  line feed and carriage return to these
files (char10 and char13) using the print or write command
because errors happens with these characters on unix platforms

the characters can not be seen in windows normal reader-progs like
notepad or write but on unix in vi and jot !

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 windows to unix - how can i suppress char10 and char13

Hi Martin,

Instead of using the Print or Write statements, look at the Put statement
and place your own line terminators into the buffer you write to the file..

Good Luck!
Tim

Tim Tow, CPA
Microsoft MVP - Excel

Quote:

>i write files with data from access database
>but i will suppress writing  line feed and carriage return to these
>files (char10 and char13) using the print or write command
>because errors happens with these characters on unix platforms

>the characters can not be seen in windows normal reader-progs like
>notepad or write but on unix in vi and jot !

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 windows to unix - how can i suppress char10 and char13

I have the opposite question, if some one can help me.
I'm tring to parse a Unix print out into an PC CSV format.
I try reading the file with Line Input whih according to the
VB4 manual should recognize CR and CRLF, but line
input reads the whole file.

Any Thoughts?

THX

C. Christian Brink,CNE
IS-Manager
All-Sports Supply, LLC
Clackamas,OR

Quote:

>Hi Martin,

>Instead of using the Print or Write statements, look at the Put statement
>and place your own line terminators into the buffer you write to the file..

>Good Luck!
>Tim

>Tim Tow, CPA
>Microsoft MVP - Excel

>>i write files with data from access database
>>but i will suppress writing  line feed and carriage return to these
>>files (char10 and char13) using the print or write command
>>because errors happens with these characters on unix platforms

>>the characters can not be seen in windows normal reader-progs like
>>notepad or write but on unix in vi and jot !

Sat, 26 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 windows to unix - how can i suppress char10 and char13

Christian Brink schrieb in Nachricht ...

Quote:
>I have the opposite question, if some one can help me.
>I'm tring to parse a Unix print out into an PC CSV format.
>I try reading the file with Line Input whih according to the
>VB4 manual should recognize CR and CRLF, but line
>input reads the whole file.

>Any Thoughts?

Try Get

Ciao, Alfred

Sun, 27 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 windows to unix - how can i suppress char10 and char13

What are you using to transfer the files to the Unix machine? Most FTP
programs will do the formatting conversion for you. If you save your
files locally then transfer them with something like WS_FTP from
www.ipswitch.com you shouldn't have to worry about those characters.
Otherwise, if you need to do it programmatically, you should be able
to parse the chr 10 and 13 out using InStr.
By the way, good windows text editors like Textpad DO show those
miscellaneous characters.

Quote:
>i write files with data from access database
>but i will suppress writing  line feed and carriage return to these
>files (char10 and char13) using the print or write command
>because errors happens with these characters on unix platforms

>the characters can not be seen in windows normal reader-progs like
>notepad or write but on unix in vi and jot !

Fri, 01 Sep 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. how can i suppress char10 and char13

2. Echo off doesn't suppress DOS window

3. How to suppress those extra windows

4. Suppress Windows Message box from SHFileOperationA

5. GURU needed: VB6 webbrowser: Detect Navigation to local File system -- suppress new window

6. Redirecting/Suppressing a Programs Windows.

7. How to suppress Windows CE printing message

8. Unix - DOS - Unix conversion

9. Need to display a graphic under sco unix and HP unix

10. ??Call Unix shell from access in windows 95??

11. Basic Development System for X-Windows (Unix)

12. WINDOWS to UNIX file creation with VB 5 CRLF to LF using PRINT #