[ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value
Author Message
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

Err.Number=-2147467259
Err.Source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
Err.Description=[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

I am getting this error when I a SELECT the records I want from the database
and I go to the first and only record
and change its values in the recordset
rs(0)= whatever
rs(1) = whatever
and so on.
The error occurs when I am calling rs.update.

I am using the exact same code to fill in a new record entry (not editing a
current record by calling rs.addnew instead of rs.movefirst and it works
fine and updates fine.

I am opening the database the way i normally do and the way it normally
works.  It seems Ive been at this error for a long time and just cant figure
it out.

Oh and by the way I get an Operation is not allowed in this context error if
I try to close the recordset instead of updating it (when a record is being
edited)

Crazy ehh?

I am using VB5/AD02.1

Mon, 10 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

Could be that you are using the wrong TYPE of recordset? Try SnapShot type.

--

Julian Milano

Quote:
> Err.Number=-2147467259
> Err.Source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
> Err.Description=[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument
value

> I am getting this error when I a SELECT the records I want from the
database
> and I go to the first and only record
> and change its values in the recordset
> rs(0)= whatever
> rs(1) = whatever
> and so on.
> The error occurs when I am calling rs.update.

> I am using the exact same code to fill in a new record entry (not editing
> current record by calling rs.addnew instead of rs.movefirst and it works
> fine and updates fine.

> I am opening the database the way i normally do and the way it normally
> works.  It seems Ive been at this error for a long time and just cant
figure
> it out.

> Oh and by the way I get an Operation is not allowed in this context error
if
> I try to close the recordset instead of updating it (when a record is
being
> edited)

> Crazy ehh?

> I am using VB5/AD02.1

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 09:08:31 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value
Are you using server side or client side cursors?
I believe the driver only supports client side...

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

I dont believe ADO supports Sanpshot or maybe they define it as something
else, but a Snapshot in DAO just gives the user whats in the recordset but
does not allow updates.

Thanks though.

Quote:
> Could be that you are using the wrong TYPE of recordset? Try SnapShot
type.

> --

> Julian Milano

> > Err.Number=-2147467259
> > Err.Source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
> > Err.Description=[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument
> value

> > I am getting this error when I a SELECT the records I want from the
> database
> > and I go to the first and only record
> > and change its values in the recordset
> > rs(0)= whatever
> > rs(1) = whatever
> > and so on.
> > The error occurs when I am calling rs.update.

> > I am using the exact same code to fill in a new record entry (not
editing
> > current record by calling rs.addnew instead of rs.movefirst and it works
> > fine and updates fine.

> > I am opening the database the way i normally do and the way it normally
> > works.  It seems Ive been at this error for a long time and just cant
> figure
> > it out.

> > Oh and by the way I get an Operation is not allowed in this context
error
> if
> > I try to close the recordset instead of updating it (when a record is
> being
> > edited)

> > Crazy ehh?

> > I am using VB5/AD02.1

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

Its all client side.

Quote:
> Are you using server side or client side cursors?
> I believe the driver only supports client side...

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

I found the culprit, there was nothing wrong with my coding at all it was
the table structure, even though I dont know why..

I had been using a memo field, but when I was updating or adding to the
taable i didnt add anything to this field i just left it blank, but it was
allowed to accept null values.. This worked fine when adding a record but
when modifying a record and keeping the memo field blank it gave me that
stupid error.

If anyone can explain why this happened because it makes absolutly no sense
at all.

I just changed memo to charachter 254 and it works fine.

Quote:
> I dont believe ADO supports Sanpshot or maybe they define it as something
> else, but a Snapshot in DAO just gives the user whats in the recordset but
> does not allow updates.

> Thanks though.

> > Could be that you are using the wrong TYPE of recordset? Try SnapShot
> type.

> > --

> > Julian Milano

> > > Err.Number=-2147467259
> > > Err.Source=Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers
> > > Err.Description=[Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument
> > value

> > > I am getting this error when I a SELECT the records I want from the
> > database
> > > and I go to the first and only record
> > > and change its values in the recordset
> > > rs(0)= whatever
> > > rs(1) = whatever
> > > and so on.
> > > The error occurs when I am calling rs.update.

> > > I am using the exact same code to fill in a new record entry (not
> editing
> > > current record by calling rs.addnew instead of rs.movefirst and it
works
> > > fine and updates fine.

> > > I am opening the database the way i normally do and the way it
normally
> > > works.  It seems Ive been at this error for a long time and just cant
> > figure
> > > it out.

> > > Oh and by the way I get an Operation is not allowed in this context
> error
> > if
> > > I try to close the recordset instead of updating it (when a record is
> > being
> > > edited)

> > > Crazy ehh?

> > > I am using VB5/AD02.1

Tue, 11 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value
I know there is some quirk in Access which you
have to access the memo field last or it flags up
some stupid error message...  You could try
this...

Stewart.

In article

Quote:

> I found the culprit, there was nothing wrong

with my coding at all it was
Quote:
> the table structure, even though I dont know
why..

> I had been using a memo field, but when I was

updating or adding to the
Quote:
> taable i didnt add anything to this field i

just left it blank, but it was
Quote:
> allowed to accept null values.. This worked

fine when adding a record but
Quote:
> when modifying a record and keeping the memo

field blank it gave me that
Quote:
> stupid error.

> If anyone can explain why this happened because

it makes absolutly no sense
Quote:
> at all.

> I just changed memo to charachter 254 and it
works fine.

in message

> > I dont believe ADO supports Sanpshot or maybe

they define it as something
Quote:
> > else, but a Snapshot in DAO just gives the

user whats in the recordset but
Quote:
> > does not allow updates.

> > Thanks though.

> > > Could be that you are using the wrong TYPE

of recordset? Try SnapShot
Quote:
> > type.

> > > --

> > > Julian Milano

ODBC Drivers

FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument
Quote:
> > > value

the records I want from the
Quote:
> > > database
rs.update.

a new record entry (not
Quote:
> > editing

instead of rs.movefirst and it
Quote:
> works

normally do and the way it
Quote:
> normally

for a long time and just cant
Quote:
> > > figure

not allowed in this context
Quote:
> > error
> > > if

updating it (when a record is

Quote:
> > > being

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Fri, 28 Mar 2003 03:00:00 GMT
 [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value
I just got rid of it all together.
254 chars is suffient, although representing a path it could be longer but
it probably wont be since it will be a mapped path

Quote:
> I know there is some quirk in Access which you
> have to access the memo field last or it flags up
> some stupid error message...  You could try
> this...

> Stewart.

> In article

> > I found the culprit, there was nothing wrong
> with my coding at all it was
> > the table structure, even though I dont know
> why..

> > I had been using a memo field, but when I was
> updating or adding to the
> > taable i didnt add anything to this field i
> just left it blank, but it was
> > allowed to accept null values.. This worked
> fine when adding a record but
> > when modifying a record and keeping the memo
> field blank it gave me that
> > stupid error.

> > If anyone can explain why this happened because
> it makes absolutly no sense
> > at all.

> > I just changed memo to charachter 254 and it
> works fine.

> in message

> > > I dont believe ADO supports Sanpshot or maybe
> they define it as something
> > > else, but a Snapshot in DAO just gives the
> user whats in the recordset but
> > > does not allow updates.

> > > Thanks though.

> of recordset? Try SnapShot
> > > type.

> ODBC Drivers
> FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument

> the records I want from the
> rs.update.

> a new record entry (not
> > > editing
> instead of rs.movefirst and it
> > works

> normally do and the way it
> > normally
> for a long time and just cant

> not allowed in this context
> > > error
> updating it (when a record is

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Fri, 04 Apr 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]Invalid argument value

2. Need help creating Fox 2.5 table via MS Visual FoxPro ODBC driver

3. [ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]SQL: Statement too long.

4. ODBC driver error with Visual Foxpro Version 9

5. Help: Intersolv FoxPro ODBC Driver

6. Excel VBA/Macintosh/Q+E FoxPro ODBC driver

7. FoxPro ODBC Driver Shows Deleted Records

8. Need ODBC driver for FoxPro data

9. invalid argument value

10. Oracle ODBC driver / Microsoft ODBC driver for Oracle

11. Unable to connect using Visual FoxPro driver when quote is in path

12. IRowsetIndex Support in Visual FoxPro OleDB driver