Keeping track of database file location
Author Message
 Keeping track of database file location

I am deploying a VB 6.0 database application to a mass audience that
uses
Access or SQL Server for the backend.  What is the easiest and most
efficient way for the application to keep track of the database
location?  I
don't want the users to have to create a DSN in windows control panel.
I do
want users to have the ability to put the database files anywhere they
want.
Is the registry a good way to store this information after prompting the
user for the db location?  If so, how do I do it?

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of database file location

That's the way I do it since going 32 bit (ini file before).

There is a SaveSetting statement and a corresponding GetSetting function
to store and retrieve data.

Sun, 29 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of database file location
In article

Quote:

> I am deploying a VB 6.0 database application to a mass audience that
> uses
> Access or SQL Server for the backend.  What is the easiest and most
> efficient way for the application to keep track of the database
> location?  I
> don't want the users to have to create a DSN in windows control panel.
> I do
> want users to have the ability to put the database files anywhere they
> want.
> Is the registry a good way to store this information after prompting
the
> user for the db location?  If so, how do I do it?

Jim,
In another ng an almost identical question was posted, but refered to a
help file rather than a database file. I replied to this via Email
after he requested it and gave him a fairly lengthy reply of how to set
up an options dialog to save and retrieve a path for his (help) file
from the registry, no matter in which directory the help file was
stored. If you want a copy of this Email send me an Email. I don't mind
posting it to this ng, but its several pages long, and others might get
the wrong idea about me.
Cheers,
Dave
--
dcward

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of database file location
Hi Dave,

Please post a copy of this e-mail. I would be most interested in seeing how
you overcame this problem.

Thanks,

Jack

Quote:
> In article

> > I am deploying a VB 6.0 database application to a mass audience that
> > uses
> > Access or SQL Server for the backend.  What is the easiest and most
> > efficient way for the application to keep track of the database
> > location?  I
> > don't want the users to have to create a DSN in windows control panel.
> > I do
> > want users to have the ability to put the database files anywhere they
> > want.
> > Is the registry a good way to store this information after prompting
> the
> > user for the db location?  If so, how do I do it?

> Jim,
> In another ng an almost identical question was posted, but refered to a
> help file rather than a database file. I replied to this via Email
> after he requested it and gave him a fairly lengthy reply of how to set
> up an options dialog to save and retrieve a path for his (help) file
> from the registry, no matter in which directory the help file was
> stored. If you want a copy of this Email send me an Email. I don't mind
> posting it to this ng, but its several pages long, and others might get
> the wrong idea about me.
> Cheers,
> Dave
> --
> dcward

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 30 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of database file location
If what you're interested about is the actual saving to the registry (as
opposed to the whole routine of prompting the user for the locations, etc),
the following may be useful:

1) The GetSetting Function exposes an easy way of storing Data in the
registry. Some documentation and code samples can be found at the Visual
Studio Documentation (MSDN Library) or online at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/devprods/vs6/vbasic/vbenlr98/vafctg...
ng.htm

2) If you need more control on the keys that are manipulated, you need to
use the API. If you want a quick reference, see the Knowledge Base article
Q145679 [HOWTO: Use the Registry API to Save and Retrieve Setting], which
can be retrieved online at:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q145/6/79.asp

-Ayax
Microsoft Developer Support

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Keeping track of database file location
I also would like to see a copy of the email.

Tue, 14 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Keeping Track of Database Modifications?!?!

2. Keeping track of Database changes!?

3. Database help - keeping track of records...

4. Database help - keeping track of records...

5. JCN - KEEPING TRACKS OF ALL CHANGES TO RECORDS IN AN ACCESS DATABASE

6. KEEPING TRACK OF WORD DOC FILES

7. Track location of user

8. How to track taskbar location ?

9. keeping Track Of Record

10. Keeping track of Users Online

11. Keeping track of all those functions!?!?!

12. Keeping track of the time that Outlook was shutdown