Import txt file from VB to SQL2K
Author Message
 Import txt file from VB to SQL2K

I have a VB6 program with Access 97 backend and we are currently trying to
change our backend to SQL Server 2000. What we need is a program where the
user could import a text file and read it into SQL. I'm able to do so but it
takes about 20 minutes to import the records (200,000+). I was wondering if
there's a quicker way to do this process. Does anyone have any suggestions
or ideas where I could look to find a better solution?

TIA
bjay

Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:05:12 GMT
 Import txt file from VB to SQL2K
Look into the DTS (Data Transformation Services) in SQL 2K.
You can make a DTS package to do the import.
You can save the DTS package as a .bas file and modify it within your code.
This uses the SQL resources to import the file instead of transferring it
through VB.

Hope this helps...

Quote:
> I have a VB6 program with Access 97 backend and we are currently trying to
> change our backend to SQL Server 2000. What we need is a program where the
> user could import a text file and read it into SQL. I'm able to do so but
it
> takes about 20 minutes to import the records (200,000+). I was wondering
if
> there's a quicker way to do this process. Does anyone have any suggestions
> or ideas where I could look to find a better solution?

> TIA
> bjay

Wed, 05 Jan 2005 03:37:21 GMT

1. how to write a VB to import and export data to/from SQL2K to Excel

2. how to write a VB to import and export data to/from SQL2K to Excel

3. import txt file to sql through Vb code

4. Adding .TXT files to a VB program without the .TXT file

5. possible bug in importing txt file

6. ???Importing Fixed Width TXT File

7. check for error on txt file import...

8. Access 97 import large txt file

9. Defining mulitple pages in CSV or TXT files, to be imported into Visio

10. import txt files in Access fails to read last line

11. Importing a text file - Smallctx.txt [01/01]

12. NEWBIE, URGENT:Please Help : Importing TabDelim txt file into Access Database