Updatable view-based dataenvironment command objects - how?
Author Message
 Updatable view-based dataenvironment command objects - how?

Ok, I thought I was doing the right thing by changing the command
objects in my dataenvironment from tables to views.

I removed the user's permissions to the tables but gave them full
access to the new views.

When I use the user's login in the query analyzer I can select and
update the view, no problem.

But now my VB-built edit form that depends on the dataenvironment
doesn't let me update the view!! Select seems to be no problem, i.e. I
can navigate throughout the recordset. (If I give permissions on the
base table then my updates work but that seems to defeat the whole
purpose of using views.)

??

What gets me is that the error I get is that the user has no select and
update permissions on the particular table the view is based on. This
surprises me b/c there is no such problem in the query analyzer.

Anyway can I repair the situation somehow without going back to the
dataenvironment command objects based on tables?

If it's necessary to give up the dataenvironment and do the binding
manually, I guess I'll have to live with it, but hopefully someone can
assure me that it's going to work with SQL Server views.

--pelayoh

Sent via Deja.com http://www.*-*-*.com/
Before you buy.

Sun, 22 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 Updatable view-based dataenvironment command objects - how?
Look at the dataenvironment:
Connection obj: the access permissions for the data link properties
Command obj: the lock type in the advanced tab on the properties page

Look at the form's datagrid control properties: AllowUpdate, AllowAddNew,
AllowDelete.

Somewhere you have readonly or sharedeny write.

Quote:

> Ok, I thought I was doing the right thing by changing the command
> objects in my dataenvironment from tables to views.

> I removed the user's permissions to the tables but gave them full
> access to the new views.

> When I use the user's login in the query analyzer I can select and
> update the view, no problem.

> But now my VB-built edit form that depends on the dataenvironment
> doesn't let me update the view!! Select seems to be no problem, i.e. I
> can navigate throughout the recordset. (If I give permissions on the
> base table then my updates work but that seems to defeat the whole
> purpose of using views.)

> ??

> What gets me is that the error I get is that the user has no select and
> update permissions on the particular table the view is based on. This
> surprises me b/c there is no such problem in the query analyzer.

> Anyway can I repair the situation somehow without going back to the
> dataenvironment command objects based on tables?

> If it's necessary to give up the dataenvironment and do the binding
> manually, I guess I'll have to live with it, but hopefully someone can
> assure me that it's going to work with SQL Server views.

> --pelayoh

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Mon, 23 Sep 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Updatable view-based dataenvironment command objects - how?

2. Command-based ADO recordset NOT UPDATABLE????

3. SQL string of command object in DataEnvironment

4. Help: Adding DataEnvironment Child Command Screws Up DataEnvironment

5. SQL string of command object in DataEnvironment

6. Sorting the command objects in the DataEnvironment

7. Help: Adding DataEnvironment Child Command Screws Up DataEnvironment

8. DataEnvironment Command object/DataReport

9. SQL querys and DataEnvironment Designer Command Objects

10. SHAPE Command/ DataEnvironment Extensibility Objects

11. Updating a Recordet based on a command Object

12. VB.Net and SQL Updatable View