DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW in a SQL query?
Author Message
 DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW in a SQL query?

I'm hoping someone will help me understand the differences between DISTINCT
and DISTINCTROW in a SQL query.

Does DISTINCT only return the First of a set of completely redundant values
from among the selected values?

Does DISTINCTROW not return any redundant sets of values from the selected
ones, even if the redundancies occur outside the selected fields?

I'd sure be glad if someone would help shed light on this.  I'm reading
about SQL and the explanation of this is pretty ill-written.

Tue, 13 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW in a SQL query?
There are two main differences that can be kept in mind in understanding the
difference between DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW.

If you use the keyword DISTINCT, you eliminate any duplicate rows in the
result set based on the columns contained in the SELECT clause.  Also, the
query's recordset is never updatable.

If you use the keyword DISTINCTROW, you eliminate any duplicate rows in the
result set based on all columns in the source tables.  Also, the query's
recordset is updatable.

Hope this helps...........

Quote:

>I'm hoping someone will help me understand the differences between DISTINCT
>and DISTINCTROW in a SQL query.

>Does DISTINCT only return the First of a set of completely redundant values
>from among the selected values?

>Does DISTINCTROW not return any redundant sets of values from the selected
>ones, even if the redundancies occur outside the selected fields?

>I'd sure be glad if someone would help shed light on this.  I'm reading
>about SQL and the explanation of this is pretty ill-written.

Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW in a SQL query?
thanks.  very helpful.

Quote:

>There are two main differences that can be kept in mind in understanding
the
>difference between DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW.

Sat, 17 Feb 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. difference between DISTINCT and DISTINCTROW (in a SQL query)

2. Something like DISTINCT or DISTINCTROW, but what ?

3. SELECT DISTINCT vs DISTINCTROW with dynaset

4. Something like DISTINCT or DISTINCTROW, but what ?

5. Distinct or DistinctRow

6. Not Distinct SQL Query

7. Distinct Clause in SQL Query

8. Can I use DISTINCTROW in SQL Server 7?

9. Distinct Corporation's ICMP control and WINS query

10. Distinct Corporation's ICMP control and WINS query

11. distinct query

12. Problem with Memo field in SELECT DISTINCT queries