ODBCdirect - asynchronous queries
Author Message
 ODBCdirect - asynchronous queries

I'm using ODBCdirect in VB5 to connect to an Oracle 8 DB. This works fine,
except when I try to run asynchronous queries, using the dbRunAsynch option
in the Options parameter of the OpenRecordset command. This causes bad
behaviour:

1. the StillExecuting  function sometimes returns True forever (its supposed
to turn False once the query has returned).

2. About half the time not all of the fields in the query appear in the
returned recordset.

Now, none of this is all that surprising, because according to Microsoft
(knowledge base article Q169276), we're not supposed to use the Options
parameter in OpenRecordset when using an ODBCdirect workspace. This is
especially wierd as the dbRunAsynch option in the OpenRecordset command only
applies to ODBCdirect workspaces.

So, how can I run an asynchronous query (other than an action query) in an
ODBCdirect workspace?

Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Anton

(please remove nospam from reply address to reply by email)

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 ODBCdirect - asynchronous queries
Hi,

I had the problem of StillExecuting not returning when I sent the same
query twice (one after another), slipping in a dummy query removed the
problem...

JD

Quote:

> I'm using ODBCdirect in VB5 to connect to an Oracle 8 DB. This works
fine,
> except when I try to run asynchronous queries, using the dbRunAsynch
option
> in the Options parameter of the OpenRecordset command. This causes bad
> behaviour:

> 1. the StillExecuting  function sometimes returns True forever (its
supposed
> to turn False once the query has returned).

> 2. About half the time not all of the fields in the query appear in the
> returned recordset.

> Now, none of this is all that surprising, because according to Microsoft
> (knowledge base article Q169276), we're not supposed to use the Options
> parameter in OpenRecordset when using an ODBCdirect workspace. This is
> especially wierd as the dbRunAsynch option in the OpenRecordset command
only
> applies to ODBCdirect workspaces.

> So, how can I run an asynchronous query (other than an action query) in
an
> ODBCdirect workspace?

> Any suggestions very much appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Anton

> (please remove nospam from reply address to reply by email)

Tue, 09 Apr 2002 03:00:00 GMT

1. Oracle and RDO Asynchronous Queries Timing Out

2. Connection is busy: Can't run asynchronous queries with VB5 and RDO 2.0

3. Asynchronous query execution

4. Jet Database Asynchronous Query

5. Asynchronous Queries

6. Can't run asynchronous queries from VB5 to MS SQL 6.5

7. Simultaneous RDO Asynchronous Queries

8. Asynchronous Queries and LastQueryResults - UserConnection

9. Asynchronous ADO Queries with Microsoft Access

10. ADO and Asynchronous Queries

11. RDO Asynchronous Queries

12. Asynchronous Queries via DE???