VB and MS Access
Author Message
 VB and MS Access

I developed an application a few years ago using VB and MS
SQL Server.

I am now working on another smaller application with less
data and the customer will not want to purchase and
support SQL Server so I am thinking of using access.

Are there any special considerations I should think of?
Do I write code into the application to backup the
database ?

Barry

Fri, 15 Oct 2004 20:32:34 GMT
 VB and MS Access
They are two different beasts, what about MSDE (Desktop SQL Server 7/2000)?
It's free :-)

raf

--

Rafael Szuminski
www.BDCSoftware.com

Quote:
> I developed an application a few years ago using VB and MS
> SQL Server.

> I am now working on another smaller application with less
> data and the customer will not want to purchase and
> support SQL Server so I am thinking of using access.

> Are there any special considerations I should think of?
> Do I write code into the application to backup the
> database ?

> Barry

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:22:17 GMT
 VB and MS Access

Quote:
> I developed an application a few years ago using VB and MS
> SQL Server.

> I am now working on another smaller application with less
> data and the customer will not want to purchase and
> support SQL Server so I am thinking of using access.

> Are there any special considerations I should think of?
> Do I write code into the application to backup the
> database ?

Did you use views or stored procedures?  Views aren't available in Access at
all.  The saved queries in Access don't necessarily work like stored
procedures.  They can give you a lot of problems.  You will definitely take
a performance hit.

Microsoft is now allowing MSDE (essentially SQL 2000 without the tools) to
be distributed free.  You might want to consider that if you've already
developed for SQL.  As long as the customer doesn't need to manage the
database, it's supposed to be OK.  Though I don't know the details of how it
addresses things like security.  Worth checking in to anyway.

Marty

Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:19:55 GMT
 VB and MS Access
MSDE is definately the correct answer.

SQL server tables will move right into MSDE without any changes.  there are
no further consideration to worry about.

Kevin

Quote:
> I developed an application a few years ago using VB and MS
> SQL Server.

> I am now working on another smaller application with less
> data and the customer will not want to purchase and
> support SQL Server so I am thinking of using access.

> Are there any special considerations I should think of?
> Do I write code into the application to backup the
> database ?

> Barry

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 13:43:08 GMT

1. VB and MS Access question

2. VB with MS Access

3. Migrating to VB from Ms access

4. VB .Net, MS-Access & MapInfo

5. VB to MS Access

6. VB and MS-ACCESS 2000

7. user software requirements for VB and MS Access

8. VB% Using MS Access Link

9. VB and MS-Access 97

10. LOOKING FOR ENTRY LEVEL PROGRAM ANALYST POSITION WITH VB,SQL, MS-Access EXPRIENCE

11. VB and MS Access Psswords

12. MN -- Microsoft Visual Basic, VB, VBA, MS Access Programmer