Copy Report Objects
Author Message
 Copy Report Objects

I want to combine 2 separate reports (CR 8.5) into one using 2 detail fields
and a formula for suppression. The reports have many text and data fields so
I prefer not to re-enter all that. I open the old 2nd report, select all
objects (maybe 100) and Click Copy. I move to the detail B section of the
new report and click on Paste. I usually get a few objects - not in the
correct place - and that is it?

Is there a way to copy all the objects in this situation?

TIA

--

Wayne Wengert

Thu, 16 Oct 2003 20:55:19 GMT
 Copy Report Objects
Hi Wayne,
    The way I have done this, is to bring the reports into the main report
as subreports, one in each detail section, and suppress the sections that I
don't want.  I have one report that allows the user to select one of three
different reports.  To the user they seem like one report, sorted and
organized slightly differently.  But, as the designer, I know they are three
distinct reports.  I created one of the reports, made some changes and saved
it under a different name, made some more changes and saved it again under
another name.  Then I placed each subreport into a detail section of its own
and suppressed all but the desired report (section).

Bob Holmes

Quote:
> I want to combine 2 separate reports (CR 8.5) into one using 2 detail
fields
> and a formula for suppression. The reports have many text and data fields
so
> I prefer not to re-enter all that. I open the old 2nd report, select all
> objects (maybe 100) and Click Copy. I move to the detail B section of the
> new report and click on Paste. I usually get a few objects - not in the
> correct place - and that is it?

> Is there a way to copy all the objects in this situation?

> TIA

> --

> Wayne Wengert

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:40:36 GMT
 Copy Report Objects
Bob;

That is exactly the approach I am using. My problem is that each of the
individual detail sections are variations on the base section. I don't want
to key in 100+ fields/labels again so I want to select all the fields
(lines, text, DB fields) in detail section A and paste them into detail
section B where I can then modify them as needed, It is the copy/paste that
doesn't work!

Wayne

Quote:
> Hi Wayne,
>     The way I have done this, is to bring the reports into the main report
> as subreports, one in each detail section, and suppress the sections that
> don't want.  I have one report that allows the user to select one of three
> different reports.  To the user they seem like one report, sorted and
> organized slightly differently.  But, as the designer, I know they are
three
> distinct reports.  I created one of the reports, made some changes and
saved
> it under a different name, made some more changes and saved it again under
> another name.  Then I placed each subreport into a detail section of its
own
> and suppressed all but the desired report (section).

> Bob Holmes

> > I want to combine 2 separate reports (CR 8.5) into one using 2 detail
> fields
> > and a formula for suppression. The reports have many text and data
fields
> so
> > I prefer not to re-enter all that. I open the old 2nd report, select all
> > objects (maybe 100) and Click Copy. I move to the detail B section of
the
> > new report and click on Paste. I usually get a few objects - not in the
> > correct place - and that is it?

> > Is there a way to copy all the objects in this situation?

> > TIA

> > --

> > Wayne Wengert

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:39:42 GMT
 Copy Report Objects
Hi Wayne,
    Copying and Pasting multiple objects has not worked very well for me.  I
don't know if there are certain types of fields, for which this will work
better than others.  I may be a little slow, but, if you create the report,
with detail A being used, one time and save it with a new name, then, insert
a subreport into details B.  Choose the report that you just saved as your
subreport.  Edit the subreport to suppress everything but the detail
section.  Won't this accomplish what you are trying to do with the copy and
paste?

Bob Holmes

Quote:
> Bob;

> That is exactly the approach I am using. My problem is that each of the
> individual detail sections are variations on the base section. I don't
want
> to key in 100+ fields/labels again so I want to select all the fields
> (lines, text, DB fields) in detail section A and paste them into detail
> section B where I can then modify them as needed, It is the copy/paste
that
> doesn't work!

> Wayne

> > Hi Wayne,
> >     The way I have done this, is to bring the reports into the main
report
> > as subreports, one in each detail section, and suppress the sections
that
> > don't want.  I have one report that allows the user to select one of
three
> > different reports.  To the user they seem like one report, sorted and
> > organized slightly differently.  But, as the designer, I know they are
> three
> > distinct reports.  I created one of the reports, made some changes and
> saved
> > it under a different name, made some more changes and saved it again
under
> > another name.  Then I placed each subreport into a detail section of its
> own
> > and suppressed all but the desired report (section).

> > Bob Holmes

> > > I want to combine 2 separate reports (CR 8.5) into one using 2 detail
> > fields
> > > and a formula for suppression. The reports have many text and data
> fields
> > so
> > > I prefer not to re-enter all that. I open the old 2nd report, select
all
> > > objects (maybe 100) and Click Copy. I move to the detail B section of
> the
> > > new report and click on Paste. I usually get a few objects - not in
the
> > > correct place - and that is it?

> > > Is there a way to copy all the objects in this situation?

> > > TIA

> > > --

> > > Wayne Wengert

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 20:44:58 GMT
 Copy Report Objects
Bob;

I ended up copying the objects from detail A to detail B a few at a time. I
found that selecting with the lasso doesn't work as well as multiple select
(Ctrl/Shift). I also found that it works better when you don't mix types
(fields and text). It takes a while but I got it dine.

My concern here is that it should be possible to copy and paste multiple
objects. Crystal Decisions needs to fix this. It is a bug!

Wayne

Quote:
> Hi Wayne,
>     Copying and Pasting multiple objects has not worked very well for me.
> don't know if there are certain types of fields, for which this will work
> better than others.  I may be a little slow, but, if you create the
report,
> with detail A being used, one time and save it with a new name, then,
insert
> a subreport into details B.  Choose the report that you just saved as your
> subreport.  Edit the subreport to suppress everything but the detail
> section.  Won't this accomplish what you are trying to do with the copy
and
> paste?

> Bob Holmes

> > Bob;

> > That is exactly the approach I am using. My problem is that each of the
> > individual detail sections are variations on the base section. I don't
> want
> > to key in 100+ fields/labels again so I want to select all the fields
> > (lines, text, DB fields) in detail section A and paste them into detail
> > section B where I can then modify them as needed, It is the copy/paste
> that
> > doesn't work!

> > Wayne

> > > Hi Wayne,
> > >     The way I have done this, is to bring the reports into the main
> report
> > > as subreports, one in each detail section, and suppress the sections
> that
> > > don't want.  I have one report that allows the user to select one of
> three
> > > different reports.  To the user they seem like one report, sorted and
> > > organized slightly differently.  But, as the designer, I know they are
> > three
> > > distinct reports.  I created one of the reports, made some changes and
> > saved
> > > it under a different name, made some more changes and saved it again
> under
> > > another name.  Then I placed each subreport into a detail section of
its
> > own
> > > and suppressed all but the desired report (section).

> > > Bob Holmes

> > > fields
> > fields
> > > so
> all
> > the
> the

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:45:01 GMT
 Copy Report Objects
I agree with you.  There have been many times when being ably to copy and
paste many fields at one time, from one section to another, would have saved
me considerable time and effort.

Bob Holmes

Quote:
> Bob;

> I ended up copying the objects from detail A to detail B a few at a time.
> found that selecting with the lasso doesn't work as well as multiple
select
> (Ctrl/Shift). I also found that it works better when you don't mix types
> (fields and text). It takes a while but I got it dine.

> My concern here is that it should be possible to copy and paste multiple
> objects. Crystal Decisions needs to fix this. It is a bug!

> Wayne

> > Hi Wayne,
> >     Copying and Pasting multiple objects has not worked very well for
me.
> > don't know if there are certain types of fields, for which this will
work
> > better than others.  I may be a little slow, but, if you create the
> report,
> > with detail A being used, one time and save it with a new name, then,
> insert
> > a subreport into details B.  Choose the report that you just saved as
your
> > subreport.  Edit the subreport to suppress everything but the detail
> > section.  Won't this accomplish what you are trying to do with the copy
> and
> > paste?

> > Bob Holmes

> > > Bob;

> > > That is exactly the approach I am using. My problem is that each of
the
> > > individual detail sections are variations on the base section. I don't
> > want
> > > to key in 100+ fields/labels again so I want to select all the fields
> > > (lines, text, DB fields) in detail section A and paste them into
detail
> > > section B where I can then modify them as needed, It is the copy/paste
> > that
> > > doesn't work!

> > > Wayne

> > report
> > that
> > three
> > > three
> > > saved
> > under
> its
> > > own

> detail
> > > fields
> > all
> of
> > > the
> > the

Sat, 18 Oct 2003 22:59:37 GMT

1. Copying an object to a new separate object

2. Copying an object to a new object

3. Crystal Reports ANd VB 6.0 Printing reports using CRPEAUTO Object, specifying paper orientation problem

4. Simple Report View.......Crystal Report Object

5. Data Report Object - Suppressing repeated rows in a report column

6. Report Object Model/Viewer Object Model

7. Assign OLE Object Of Crystal Report Object

8. Viewer Object -> Report Object

9. deleting and copying access objects between 2 mdb files from VB6

10. Copying an OLE object from an Access table to Word via VBA

11. copying access objects

12. Copy object with variables