string limitation
Author Message
 string limitation

Hi,

I am new to CR and hope that this is the right newsgroup.
I am trying to print text field from few records into one line,
but is hitting 254 char limitation on stringvar.

What is the way around this?
How can I print strings with more that 254 chars?

Thanks in advance
C C Low

Sun, 04 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT
 string limitation
Hi there,

This limitation really is stupid!!
All Crystal Formula fields and 'normal' db-fields have a limitation of 254
characters. I tried using the memo-field type with CDO-objects, but this is
not yet fully supported in CR7.0

I found  2 ways to overcome the limitation
1. You can insert text-objects in your report. They accept values longer
then 254 characters

2. Use an ADO-recordset to hand over long texts:
    - Define a data definition file with field-type = BLOB
    - Add this datasource to the report (eventually in a subReport)
    - Create a ADO-recordset and add a field as:
            .Fields.append "Text", adLongVarChar, 2000
            .Fields("Text").value = "A very looooooooooooooong text"

    - connect the recordset to the datasource

Hope this helps.

Fred Ahsmann

Quote:

>Hi,

>I am new to CR and hope that this is the right newsgroup.
>I am trying to print text field from few records into one line,
>but is hitting 254 char limitation on stringvar.

>What is the way around this?
>How can I print strings with more that 254 chars?

>Thanks in advance
>C C Low

Sun, 11 Nov 2001 03:00:00 GMT

1. String limitations

2. 64K string limitation

3. 64K string limitation problem

4. HELP 64K String limitation

5. ADO String Limitation.

6. Strings limitation ?

7. String length limitation?

8. String Length Limitation Workaround?

9. 32k String & Text Box Limitation

10. string length limitation?

11. Limitation on HTTP string length?

12. How to work arround the limitation of string fields