Graphics on Reports
Author Message
 Graphics on Reports

Does anyone know how to change a graphic at run time?

I am using CR 5.0 via the print engine and have the need to change a a
customer logo at run time from a common report.

I have considered making multiple heading sections, each containing a
separate logo and then hiding/unhiding as appropriate, but looking for a
better way to do this, hopefully by supplyig a graphics file name at run
time.

Any thoughts?

--
Joe Lester
Lester Associates, Inc.

Mon, 07 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Graphics on Reports

We have tried to do this also.
After consulting with Seagate we were told that we could NOT pick up a logo
(ie bmp) at runtime, regardless of using an OLE document or subreport.
Both get embedded into the report at design/save time.

Tue, 08 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Graphics on Reports

Quote:

>Does anyone know how to change a graphic at run time?

>I am using CR 5.0 via the print engine and have the need to change a a
>customer logo at run time from a common report.
>>We have tried to do this also.
>>After consulting with Seagate we were told that we could NOT pick up a logo
>>(ie bmp) at runtime, regardless of using an OLE document or subreport.
>>Both get embedded into the report at design/save time.

What Steve H. said about embedding is what I've experience also.

However, you may want to try to use OLE linking.  If you can arrange
to use the same filename for all logos, then I think you can use a
linked OLE object.  I've done this using a linked Excel chart, in
which I used VB code to construct the chart through Excel, save Excel
file to disk, and then invoke Crystal Reports.  In other words, an
Excel file was created each time the report was generated and the
first sheet was a chart sheet (rather than a worksheet).  When I
invoked Crystal Reports (through the VBX) it displayed a dialog box
for a few seconds indicating that it was updating the Excel link and
then when the report appeared it had the updated chart.

What you could do is put all the reports for a given client in a
directory for that client and include the logo file in that directory
too to keep it separate from other logos.  In the report, create a
linked OLE object to the file containing the logo.  If the application
the created the logo is an OLE server (or mini-server), then I think
this should work for you.  For instance, of your logo is a .bmp file
you'll probably need MSPaint installed on your system.  When you
create the link, the list of supported file types will be displayed.

Tom McIntire

Fri, 11 Feb 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Graphics on Reports

I've found OLE is slow, and ugly for the user.  For example,
CR update's the link every time the user previews, yuck!

Ideally CR would read the graphic directly from the database.
This works great if you paste a sample BMP cut from PaintBrush
directly into an Access database for example.  CR can load the
graphic from the database field quite well.  The problem I have
is getting the BMP into the database.

Using VB v3.0 and an Access v2.0 database, how is that done?
How can I get a disk file BMP, or JPG, or whatever into an Access
database field?  I'll use the API or a third part tool if it will make this
headache  go awayJ.

I think if someone could share how to do that, many peoples
questions would be answered.

Thanks!

Quote:
> How about using an OLE-picture. Put the logo in a directory and then
insert
> the logo to the report as OLE. Before displaying the report copy the
right
> logo  to the directory where the OLE-picture is linked to.

> Timo Eade

> > Does anyone know how to change a graphic at run time?

> > I am using CR 5.0 via the print engine and have the need to change a a
> > customer logo at run time from a common report.

> > I have considered making multiple heading sections, each containing a
> > separate logo and then hiding/unhiding as appropriate, but looking for
> > better way to do this, hopefully by supplyig a graphics file name at
run
> > time.

> > Any thoughts?

> > --
> > Joe Lester
> > Lester Associates, Inc.
> > 973.635.2254  (fax 973.635.7449)

Sat, 04 Mar 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. Graphics in reports

2. Graphics in reports

3. Graphics in reports

4. graphic in report

5. Report with Graphic

6. Graphics in MS Access97(reports)

7. Crystal Reports and Graphics

8. graphics in Crystal Report

9. crystal reports graphics

10. How to incorperate dynamic graphics in Database report ?

11. Crystal Reports and Graphics

12. Printing Graphic from Crystal Reports