Crystal works fine with Access, SQL Server, but not Oracle
Author Message
 Crystal works fine with Access, SQL Server, but not Oracle

We have an application which can interface with Access, SQL Server, or
Oracle. In all cases we use ODBC for the database connection. The same .RPT
files work great with both Access and SQL Server, but we are making little
progress with Oracle. It usually just says "SQL Server error".

Any suggestions on what could be wrong or how we diagnose the problem? We
are supplying a valid user name and password, and the application itself has
no trouble accessing the database.

Thanks

--
Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)

Sat, 19 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT
 Crystal works fine with Access, SQL Server, but not Oracle

We are doing the same thing.
During the translation to Oracle I found I had to do this:

Either completely rewrite the report engine or maintain two sets of
reports, one for SQL, one for Oracle.

We are using the API in a VB app, not the OCX, so this may or may not apply
We also found that some issues were resolved when we went to Crystal 6.0

Anyway, here is what I had to do:

Make sure there are no Outer Joins in the Crystal Query.  These should be
replaced with Subreports.
In the crystal designer, go to the 'Database\Set Location' Menu Item.
Since you are using ODBC, you should have the source set to your DSN.
Look carefully at each table to see if the database value is set.
If you find it is anything other than your connection string name (found in
tsnames.ora) or null
the report will not function.
I called Seagate on this issue and the answer was 'It works on my machine.'
 They did send me an
upgrade to the p2sodbc.dll file, but that was not the whole solution.
I found I had to open the file in a Hex Editor or the dos Debug, and remove
all the references to the
faulty Database Name.  Then the reports will open using the API through VB4
and VB5 code.
If you then modify the report and preview it, your issues will return, and
you will have to hex edit
the report again.

Hope this helps.
Harrison.

Quote:
> We have an application which can interface with Access, SQL Server, or
> Oracle. In all cases we use ODBC for the database connection. The same
RPT
> files work great with both Access and SQL Server, but we are making
little
> progress with Oracle. It usually just says "SQL Server error".

> Any suggestions on what could be wrong or how we diagnose the problem? We
> are supplying a valid user name and password, and the application itself
has
> no trouble accessing the database.

> Thanks

> --
> Randy Baker (remove Z from address in email replies)

Mon, 21 Aug 2000 03:00:00 GMT

1. DHTML/SQL Server app works fine internally, not on web server

2. Crystal 6 with Oracle - Error 599 SQL SERVER NOT FOUND

3. ODBC .addnew works from Access to SQL Server, but not from Excel

4. Query not working after migrating from Access to SQL Server 7

5. Query not working after Migrating from Access to SQL Server 7

6. Can not find SQL Server (I'm not using SQL Server)

7. SQL string not works in VB and works in Access 2000

8. Supporting Oracle and SQL Server. Crystal 8.5

9. Problems with SQL SERVER vs Oracle Crystal Reports!!!

10. It worked fine in Access, why not in SQL Server?

11. SQL updateable in Access but not SQL Server

12. Vb6 and Word working fine on one machine but not on other