Invalid TLV Record
Author Message
 Invalid TLV Record

      I just upgraded my reports from ver 8.5 using the backwards compatible
ocx and connecting directly to an access database to now using the activeX
control from ver. 8.5 and using active data (ado) and passing in a recordset
(from VB6).

      I now get "Invalid TLV record" when trying to run a report on some
client machines. I have gotten it to work on 2 so far, but a majority of
them have received this error.

      I've been searching quite a bit and have found that the main cause of
this is usually a corrupted report. However, this is clearly not the case
because it works fine for me as well as a couple of my clients.

      Then I read this post:
      I've been chasing a similar problem, 'Invalid TLV record' when I call
OpenReport.  It's mentioned in the Crystal Knowledge base
      and they pass the blame back to Microsoft, take a look at Microsoft
tech support page ref Q199929.  Seems that it's caused
      by being on Windows 98 or NT SP4.  Microsoft status is, 'This
behaviour is by design'.
      I can't see how Crystal can say it's not their problem but anyway!.
      Apparently there is no way to resolve this problem.

      I don't know how accurate this is, and couldn't find the KB article.

      My feeling is that is has something to do with dependencies. I've
installed these following files along with the upgrade in addition to all
the files that were installed for the original backwards compatible version:
      craxdrt.dll
      Crpaig80.dll
      crviewer.dll
      Implode.dll
      mfc42.dll
      msvcrt.dll
      P2smon.dll
      pg32conv.dll
      SSCSDK80.DLL

      Does anyone have any advice?

      Thanks,
      Josh

Mon, 23 May 2005 14:01:46 GMT
 Invalid TLV Record
Joshua I think it's a missing dll problem. Take a look at this page:

http://www.lawebcrystal.com/Documentos/runtimefiles.shtm

Quote:
>       I just upgraded my reports from ver 8.5 using the backwards
compatible
> ocx and connecting directly to an access database to now using the activeX
> control from ver. 8.5 and using active data (ado) and passing in a
recordset
> (from VB6).

>       I now get "Invalid TLV record" when trying to run a report on some
> client machines. I have gotten it to work on 2 so far, but a majority of
> them have received this error.

>       I've been searching quite a bit and have found that the main cause
of
> this is usually a corrupted report. However, this is clearly not the case
> because it works fine for me as well as a couple of my clients.

>       Then I read this post:
>       I've been chasing a similar problem, 'Invalid TLV record' when I
call
> OpenReport.  It's mentioned in the Crystal Knowledge base
>       and they pass the blame back to Microsoft, take a look at Microsoft
> tech support page ref Q199929.  Seems that it's caused
>       by being on Windows 98 or NT SP4.  Microsoft status is, 'This
> behaviour is by design'.
>       I can't see how Crystal can say it's not their problem but anyway!.
>       Apparently there is no way to resolve this problem.

>       I don't know how accurate this is, and couldn't find the KB article.

>       My feeling is that is has something to do with dependencies. I've
> installed these following files along with the upgrade in addition to all
> the files that were installed for the original backwards compatible
version:
>       craxdrt.dll
>       Crpaig80.dll
>       crviewer.dll
>       Implode.dll
>       mfc42.dll
>       msvcrt.dll
>       P2smon.dll
>       pg32conv.dll
>       SSCSDK80.DLL

>       Does anyone have any advice?

>       Thanks,
>       Josh

Mon, 23 May 2005 20:45:35 GMT
 Invalid TLV Record
Thank you for you reply.

So which of these am I actually using?
Report Designer Component (craxdrt.dll)
Crystal Reports Designer Control (crdesignerctrl.dll)
Crystal Reports Automation Server (cpeaut32.dll)
Crystal Report Engine API (crpe32.dll)
Crystal ActiveX Control (crystl32.ocx)

I definitely need craxdrt.dll since the line I use to call ther reports uses
the craxdrt.application.openReport method.

As a result I installed and registered the following dll's on the client
machines:
CRAXDRT.DLL, CRVIEWER.DLL
and installed these as well:
IMPLODE.DLL, SSCSDK80.DLL, PG32CONV.DLL, CRPAIG80.DLL, MFC42.DLL,
MSVCRT.DLL

What else do I need to include? I'm using .rpt files with active data (ado).
I'm not using the crystal activeX for anything other than viewing the .rpt.
I'm not using the designer (.dsr files) or anything.

I'll attach the code I use to call the report in case that helps.

Thanks,
Josh

    Dim crwApp As New CRAXDRT.Application
    Dim crpReport As Report
    Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

    rs.Open sql, ProjectDatabase, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

    Set crpReport = crwApp.OpenReport(sReportPath & sReportName, 1)
    Set crwApp = Nothing

    crpReport.Database.SetDataSource rs

    ReportFrm.CRViewer1.ReportSource = crpReport
    ReportFrm.CRViewer1.ViewReport
    load ReportForm

Quote:
> Joshua I think it's a missing dll problem. Take a look at this page:

> http://www.lawebcrystal.com/Documentos/runtimefiles.shtm

> >       I just upgraded my reports from ver 8.5 using the backwards
> compatible
> > ocx and connecting directly to an access database to now using the
activeX
> > control from ver. 8.5 and using active data (ado) and passing in a
> recordset
> > (from VB6).

> >       I now get "Invalid TLV record" when trying to run a report on some
> > client machines. I have gotten it to work on 2 so far, but a majority of
> > them have received this error.

> >       I've been searching quite a bit and have found that the main cause
> of
> > this is usually a corrupted report. However, this is clearly not the
case
> > because it works fine for me as well as a couple of my clients.

> >       Then I read this post:
> >       I've been chasing a similar problem, 'Invalid TLV record' when I
> call
> > OpenReport.  It's mentioned in the Crystal Knowledge base
> >       and they pass the blame back to Microsoft, take a look at
Microsoft
> > tech support page ref Q199929.  Seems that it's caused
> >       by being on Windows 98 or NT SP4.  Microsoft status is, 'This
> > behaviour is by design'.
> >       I can't see how Crystal can say it's not their problem but
anyway!.
> >       Apparently there is no way to resolve this problem.

> >       I don't know how accurate this is, and couldn't find the KB
article.

> >       My feeling is that is has something to do with dependencies. I've
> > installed these following files along with the upgrade in addition to
all
> > the files that were installed for the original backwards compatible
> version:
> >       craxdrt.dll
> >       Crpaig80.dll
> >       crviewer.dll
> >       Implode.dll
> >       mfc42.dll
> >       msvcrt.dll
> >       P2smon.dll
> >       pg32conv.dll
> >       SSCSDK80.DLL

> >       Does anyone have any advice?

> >       Thanks,
> >       Josh

Tue, 24 May 2005 00:26:52 GMT
 Invalid TLV Record
Josh see the text as follow from runtime.hlp file:

 Seagate Crystal Reports custom applications using utilizing ActiveX Data
Object (ADO) Components may require both Seagate and Microsoft resources
when they are distributed.

Seagate Resources

After installing the Microsoft Data Access (MDAC)  files and copying
P2SODBC.DLL, no addition files are needed for this data source. For more
information, see ODBC - Required Runtime Files.

Microsoft ADO Resources

-------
Microsoft Data Access (MDAC)

Required runtime files can be distributed by including the Microsoft Data
Access program (MDAC_TYP.EXE) found on the Seagate Crystal Reports CD in the
REDIST directory (this directory contains version 2.1 of MDAC). If you'd
like to check for a newer version of MDAC, visit the Microsoft web site at:
http://www.microsoft.com/data.
Install MDAC on a target machine to ensure the required runtime files are
available to your application. Many ODBC data sources require additional
files to be distributed.

Additional Required Runtime File

In addition to the files included in MDAC, always distribute the following
file with any application that uses ODBC:

NOTE: Be sure to check the requirements for the specific ODBC driver you are
using. See the list of ODBC Data Sources below.

FILE LOCATION DESCRIPTION
P2SODBC.DLL \WINDOWS\SYSTEM or \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32
(NT only) Crystal Reports Physical Server DLL for ODBC
NOTE: You must also register any distributed ODBC drivers on the user's
system by modifying the system registry.

NOTE: After ODBC drivers are registered on the user's system, ODBC
Administrator must be used to create an ODBC data source for the data that
will be accessed by your distributed reports. Provide information to your
users on how to use ODBC Administrator to create data sources.

For information on the packaging and distribution of Microsoft ADO
components, please refer to Microsoft's documentation and on-line resources
at http://www.microsoft.com/data/ and http://msdn.microsoft.com/.

Quote:
> Thank you for you reply.

> So which of these am I actually using?
> Report Designer Component (craxdrt.dll)
> Crystal Reports Designer Control (crdesignerctrl.dll)
> Crystal Reports Automation Server (cpeaut32.dll)
> Crystal Report Engine API (crpe32.dll)
> Crystal ActiveX Control (crystl32.ocx)

> I definitely need craxdrt.dll since the line I use to call ther reports
uses
> the craxdrt.application.openReport method.

> As a result I installed and registered the following dll's on the client
> machines:
> CRAXDRT.DLL, CRVIEWER.DLL
> and installed these as well:
> IMPLODE.DLL, SSCSDK80.DLL, PG32CONV.DLL, CRPAIG80.DLL, MFC42.DLL,
> MSVCRT.DLL

> What else do I need to include? I'm using .rpt files with active data
(ado).
> I'm not using the crystal activeX for anything other than viewing the
.rpt.
> I'm not using the designer (.dsr files) or anything.

> I'll attach the code I use to call the report in case that helps.

> Thanks,
> Josh

>     Dim crwApp As New CRAXDRT.Application
>     Dim crpReport As Report
>     Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

>     rs.Open sql, ProjectDatabase, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

>     Set crpReport = crwApp.OpenReport(sReportPath & sReportName, 1)
>     Set crwApp = Nothing

>     crpReport.Database.SetDataSource rs

>     ReportFrm.CRViewer1.ReportSource = crpReport
>     ReportFrm.CRViewer1.ViewReport
>     load ReportForm

message

> > Joshua I think it's a missing dll problem. Take a look at this page:

> > http://www.lawebcrystal.com/Documentos/runtimefiles.shtm

> > >       I just upgraded my reports from ver 8.5 using the backwards
> > compatible
> > > ocx and connecting directly to an access database to now using the
> activeX
> > > control from ver. 8.5 and using active data (ado) and passing in a
> > recordset
> > > (from VB6).

> > >       I now get "Invalid TLV record" when trying to run a report on
some
> > > client machines. I have gotten it to work on 2 so far, but a majority
of
> > > them have received this error.

> > >       I've been searching quite a bit and have found that the main
cause
> > of
> > > this is usually a corrupted report. However, this is clearly not the
> case
> > > because it works fine for me as well as a couple of my clients.

> > >       Then I read this post:
> > >       I've been chasing a similar problem, 'Invalid TLV record' when I
> > call
> > > OpenReport.  It's mentioned in the Crystal Knowledge base
> > >       and they pass the blame back to Microsoft, take a look at
> Microsoft
> > > tech support page ref Q199929.  Seems that it's caused
> > >       by being on Windows 98 or NT SP4.  Microsoft status is, 'This
> > > behaviour is by design'.
> > >       I can't see how Crystal can say it's not their problem but
> anyway!.
> > >       Apparently there is no way to resolve this problem.

> > >       I don't know how accurate this is, and couldn't find the KB
> article.

> > >       My feeling is that is has something to do with dependencies.
I've
> > > installed these following files along with the upgrade in addition to
> all
> > > the files that were installed for the original backwards compatible
> > version:
> > >       craxdrt.dll
> > >       Crpaig80.dll
> > >       crviewer.dll
> > >       Implode.dll
> > >       mfc42.dll
> > >       msvcrt.dll
> > >       P2smon.dll
> > >       pg32conv.dll
> > >       SSCSDK80.DLL

> > >       Does anyone have any advice?

> > >       Thanks,
> > >       Josh

Tue, 24 May 2005 02:16:03 GMT
 Invalid TLV Record
Well, the only thing that's missing from the list you sent is setting up the
ODBC connection on the user machine. However, I can't imagine I should need
to do that since I'm only using the ODBC for creating the report. The report
is saved as active data, and when I actually call it, I am passing in a
recordset. I did this in part so I would not need to set up an ODBC
connection on every users machine.

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Josh

Quote:
> [...]

> (ado).
> > I'm not using the crystal activeX for anything other than viewing the
> .rpt.
> > I'm not using the designer (.dsr files) or anything.

> > I'll attach the code I use to call the report in case that helps.

> > Thanks,
> > Josh

> >     Dim crwApp As New CRAXDRT.Application
> >     Dim crpReport As Report
> >     Dim rs As New ADODB.Recordset

> >     rs.Open sql, ProjectDatabase, adOpenForwardOnly, adLockReadOnly

> >     Set crpReport = crwApp.OpenReport(sReportPath & sReportName, 1)
> >     Set crwApp = Nothing

> >     crpReport.Database.SetDataSource rs

> >     ReportFrm.CRViewer1.ReportSource = crpReport
> >     ReportFrm.CRViewer1.ViewReport
> >     load ReportForm

> message

> > > Joshua I think it's a missing dll problem. Take a look at this page:

Tue, 24 May 2005 03:19:00 GMT

1. Invalid TLV Record

2. Invalid TLV record

3. -2147206429 (80043ae3) Invalid TLV Record

4. Error: Invalid TLV record

5. Invalid TLV Record in CRViewer

6. Invalid TLV record error

7. CRAXDRT.DLL and Invalid TLV Record

8. SCR8 - Graphs - "Invalid TLV Record"

9. Invalid TLV Record in Report Designer Component?

10. Invalid TLV Record

11. Invalid TLV Record - Crystal 7 (Delphi 4)

12. Invalid TLV record error