moving crystal fields to line up with no spaces between them
Author Message
 moving crystal fields to line up with no spaces between them

Hi,

Again, thanks to Paul for the response to my question about zero filling and
removing decimal points.

I have a question now about how to place fields exactly next to one another.
I've tried selecting the field and moving it by the left and right arrows,
but that doesn't allow me to place the fields precisely.  I've tried
adjusting the X position in the Object Size and Position dialog box.
Sometimes this moves the field, but sometimes my change doesn't stay--it
jumps to a different setting.

Another problem is that sometimes the placement looks perfect on the screen,
but when I print it out some of the fields overlap.  I'm not sure which is
correct--what I see on the screen, or on the printout.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or any explanations for what seems to be
erratic behavior of the Object Size and Position  setting?

Thanks,

Sue

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 moving crystal fields to line up with no spaces between them
Hi Sue, again you're welcome.

I don't know why it happens, but I've seen the same behavior you are with
the Object Size & Position functionality.  It seems that the Height and
Width properties are reduced by .01 from what you enter there.  You can
compensate for it but it can become a real pain.

One of the tricks you can use for making sure fields are adjacent is to use
"guidelines" (I'm not sure what they're really called).  For this scenario,
click in the ruler at the top of the report designer.  This will place a
guideline that runs down through your report.  Position it where you want
the two fields to meet and then move/size both fields so that they 'snap' to
the guideline.  Hard to describe, but it should make sense when you try it.

HTH, Paul
--
Paul Little, Senior Programmer/Analyst
SVi Retail Systems

Quote:
> Hi,

> Again, thanks to Paul for the response to my question about zero filling
and
> removing decimal points.

> I have a question now about how to place fields exactly next to one
another.
> I've tried selecting the field and moving it by the left and right arrows,
> but that doesn't allow me to place the fields precisely.  I've tried
> adjusting the X position in the Object Size and Position dialog box.
> Sometimes this moves the field, but sometimes my change doesn't stay--it
> jumps to a different setting.

> Another problem is that sometimes the placement looks perfect on the
screen,
> but when I print it out some of the fields overlap.  I'm not sure which is
> correct--what I see on the screen, or on the printout.

> Does anyone have any suggestions, or any explanations for what seems to be
> erratic behavior of the Object Size and Position  setting?

> Thanks,

> Sue

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 03:00:00 GMT
 moving crystal fields to line up with no spaces between them
Just a supplement to Paul's comments, have you checked menu FILE->OPTIONS?  A
dialog will show, in Grid Options, you may choose "Snap to Grid" and change
"Grid Size" (from 0.011 to 1 in).  The default is 0.086 in.
Quote:

> Hi Sue, again you're welcome.

> I don't know why it happens, but I've seen the same behavior you are with
> the Object Size & Position functionality.  It seems that the Height and
> Width properties are reduced by .01 from what you enter there.  You can
> compensate for it but it can become a real pain.

> One of the tricks you can use for making sure fields are adjacent is to use
> "guidelines" (I'm not sure what they're really called).  For this scenario,
> click in the ruler at the top of the report designer.  This will place a
> guideline that runs down through your report.  Position it where you want
> the two fields to meet and then move/size both fields so that they 'snap' to
> the guideline.  Hard to describe, but it should make sense when you try it.

> HTH, Paul
> --
> Paul Little, Senior Programmer/Analyst
> SVi Retail Systems
> San Diego, CA

> > Hi,

> > Again, thanks to Paul for the response to my question about zero filling
> and
> > removing decimal points.

> > I have a question now about how to place fields exactly next to one
> another.
> > I've tried selecting the field and moving it by the left and right arrows,
> > but that doesn't allow me to place the fields precisely.  I've tried
> > adjusting the X position in the Object Size and Position dialog box.
> > Sometimes this moves the field, but sometimes my change doesn't stay--it
> > jumps to a different setting.

> > Another problem is that sometimes the placement looks perfect on the
> screen,
> > but when I print it out some of the fields overlap.  I'm not sure which is
> > correct--what I see on the screen, or on the printout.

> > Does anyone have any suggestions, or any explanations for what seems to be
> > erratic behavior of the Object Size and Position  setting?

> > Thanks,

> > Sue

Fri, 03 Jan 2003 03:00:00 GMT

1. Space Space Space Space Space Space Space

2. Space Space Space Space Space Space Space

3. Space Space Space Space Space Space Space

4. Supress line Space when a field is null

5. Leading Spaces Trimmed in Crystal Report Label Multi-Line Caption

6. Moving a field on a report, based on value of another field

7. Enabling Tab Key to move from field to field

8. Moving field data between fields using VB 6 exe

9. Moving from field to field

10. Moving from field to field

11. Using ENTER key to move from field to field

12. Moving Shapes to a particular space in Word