Crystal Report - Subreport looping thru mainreport data
Author Message
 Crystal Report - Subreport looping thru mainreport data

Hi

I have a report (CR 8.5) that contains a subreport. The main report is
linked to the table A, the sub report to the table B.  When I run it
in the preview window, it scans all the detail of table A (over 100
000 rec.) before displaying the result, which is only a small
selection of table B (approx. 10 rec.). This unnecessary process
delays the generation of the report to over 3-4 minutes, unacceptable.
Does anyone know how to prevent this?

Tx
Steven Dion

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 04:48:08 GMT
 Crystal Report - Subreport looping thru mainreport data
when you created the subreprt did you only include the table B? Is the
report link from the main to the sub connecting a field in A to a field in
B?

Tony

Quote:
> Hi

> I have a report (CR 8.5) that contains a subreport. The main report is
> linked to the table A, the sub report to the table B.  When I run it
> in the preview window, it scans all the detail of table A (over 100
> 000 rec.) before displaying the result, which is only a small
> selection of table B (approx. 10 rec.). This unnecessary process
> delays the generation of the report to over 3-4 minutes, unacceptable.
> Does anyone know how to prevent this?

> Tx
> Steven Dion

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 17:35:54 GMT
 Crystal Report - Subreport looping thru mainreport data
Tx Tony

I added and linked table A to table B into the subreport (with the
Visual Linking Expert) and same thing with table B in main report. But
performance is no better. Still the same scanning through all table A.

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 22:50:43 GMT
 Crystal Report - Subreport looping thru mainreport data
Is the sub report unconnected with the main report? if so is the subreport
in a part of the main report that is produced for every record in the main
report (eg detail or group footer)
tony

Quote:
> Tx Tony

> I added and linked table A to table B into the subreport (with the
> Visual Linking Expert) and same thing with table B in main report. But
> performance is no better. Still the same scanning through all table A.

Sat, 30 Oct 2004 23:55:58 GMT
 Crystal Report - Subreport looping thru mainreport data
I decided to change the way to get the data by creating a view in
Oracle that will take charge of my complex SQL query instead of
leaving this to Crystal. I think you should never manipulate the Sql
query within Crystal, always try to provide your report a datasource
as much as complete as you can. Otherwise the performance can be
seriously affected.

Tx again Tony

Steven Dion

Quote:

> Is the sub report unconnected with the main report? if so is the subreport
> in a part of the main report that is produced for every record in the main
> report (eg detail or group footer)
> tony

> > Tx Tony

> > I added and linked table A to table B into the subreport (with the
> > Visual Linking Expert) and same thing with table B in main report. But
> > performance is no better. Still the same scanning through all table A.

Sun, 31 Oct 2004 20:43:28 GMT

1. vb5 Crystal Reports 6 and Subreports Can we conditionally call subreports from primary reports

2. Crystal reports subreport in a subreport

3. CR9: Displaying summary of subReports in mainReport

4. How to send a parameter from a mainreport to a subreport

5. Subreport: cannot/don't know how to refresh subreport dbname thru VB Code

6. printing without crystal report or data report for non data base reports

7. Selecting Records thru Crystal Reports

8. Setting Crystal Reports SelectionFormula thru VB4

9. Cannot refresh Crystal Report thru VB5 object

10. Crystal Reports thru ASP

11. Crystal Reports thru Lotus Notes

12. Can you create Crystal reports completely thru code?